Help with which hybrid to go for ??

Eagle1968
Eagle1968 Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in Commuting general
Looking for some good sensible advice please. I’m looking for a good hybrid bike to use for road work & getting fit but I would also like to go down the odd easy track canal towpath and the like.

I have asked this question on another bike forum and was told the Trek was best spec and build, would like your guys thoughts though please.

I have seen these 3 bikes which I am interested in , which of them would you suggest has the best spec and parts etc ? (Never heard of Merida but am assured they are decent manufacturer).

I value you opinions and look forwards to your suggestions/comments

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 7610-2018/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-1-disc-2018

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bik ... -9355.html

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You' do far better looking at Halfords or Decathlon for a Carrera, Boardman or similar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Eagle1968 wrote:
    (Never heard of Merida but am assured they are decent manufacturer).

My hybrid is a Merida. I have the Crossway XT-Edition, the higher spec front suspension version. It is fantastic. Commuted yesterday in the snow/ice/slush, do regular weekend rides with my daughter and also do mid distance charity rides on it.

Merida are one of the bigger manufacturers in the world...and growing rapidly over here. Think along the lines of Giant.

Compared to a Trek (I also have a Trek Crocket 9 and my daughter has a Trek Neko SLX) the represent better value for money.

Worth a look, don't be put off by not having heard of them.
  • http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 4cm-frames is currently £700 before British Cycling discount, but recently it was £630 IIRC, it will no doubt lower in a sale after Xmas if you can wait.

Very decent weight at 10Kg, work colleague has one, nice hybrid.

But bang for the buck, the 2016 Voodoo Marasa, £320 before discount.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • All 3 look great to me with fairly decent components. I doubt you'll go wrong with any of them. Merida and Giant actually make their own frames where as the Trek will be a rebranded frame made by someone else. That isn't a reason not to buy the Trek just thought I'd mention it. I tend to get swayed by discounts and getting the best bang for my buck so to speak and with the January sales coming up perhaps that will sway you one way or the other. As already stated though you get more bang for your buck going for a shop brand. They buy directly from the factory and retail themselves which has huge cost savings hence why many stores like Halfords, Go Outdoors and Decathlon can do very decent bikes for low money for their own brands.

Maybe 20-50% of what you are spending on a big brand bike is really more about the more complicated logistics of how they are distributed with many more parties needing to make money. Competing with them is the direct sellers who import and sell directly to the public sadly local bike shops struggle to compete with such value unfortunately and you will pay a premium normally.
  • greenamex2 wrote:
    Eagle1968 wrote:

My hybrid is a Merida. I have the Crossway XT-Edition, the higher spec front suspension version. It is fantastic. Commuted yesterday in the snow/ice/slush, do regular weekend rides with my daughter and also do mid distance charity rides on it.

Merida are one of the bigger manufacturers in the world...and growing rapidly over here. Think along the lines of Giant.

Compared to a Trek (I also have a Trek Crocket 9 and my daughter has a Trek Neko SLX) the represent better value for money.

If you like Merida you might also like Specialized, they jointly own the brand and produce the frames for them. As you say great frames top of the pile. I think they have shrunk recently as they can no longer compete in the OEM frame business and like Giant are concentrating on pushing their own brands rather than supplying competitors. Many have moved to fuji-ta in China who are also great quality but cheaper. I love the old Saracen bikes which have Merida frames, superb quality at the time. Don't know who makes the Madison Saracen bike frames.

Merida used to be the most advanced frame manufacturer in Taiwan with robot welded aluminium frames (difficult to do) but unsure if they are still at the top but at the time they were significantly stronger than hand-welded aluminium frames made by many of their competitors. Of course at that time many brands were actually using Merida frames but much less common nowadays.
  • greenamex2 wrote:
    Eagle1968 wrote:

If you like Merida you might also like Specialized, they jointly own the brand and produce the frames for them. As you say great frames top of the pile. I think they have shrunk recently as they can no longer compete in the OEM frame business and like Giant are concentrating on pushing their own brands rather than supplying competitors. Many have moved to fuji-ta in China who are also great quality but cheaper. I love the old Saracen bikes which have Merida frames, superb quality at the time. Don't know who makes the Madison Saracen bike frames.

Merida used to be the most advanced frame manufacturer in Taiwan with robot welded aluminium frames (difficult to do) but unsure if they are still at the top but at the time they were significantly stronger than hand-welded aluminium frames made by many of their competitors. Of course at that time many brands were actually using Merida frames but much less common nowadays.

Learn something new every day!
  • I've had a Trek FX for three years and have found it excellent. My mileage and range has improved greatly as has the condition I'm in when I get there. The forks have stood up to everything thrown at them and I find the disc brakes which are new to me excellent also. 32mm tyres are fine for the style of riding you describe. I did wear the rear hub out but this may be from high usage rather than component quality.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, great value and, erm, also made by Merida.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.