Where do I start?

2»

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    DavidRadar wrote:
    Good to hear you got the mtb bug :) I am suprised to hear no one has recommended a good bike shop in your area. If I were to purchase another bike I would first get measured up for a bike fit and then let the bike fit expert source the correct bike. This is because I race and don't want to compromise. I have know a few guys at my club who have changed bikes for this very reason (they also enjoy riding a lot more now too). Ask on the forums if anyone knows of a good fitter in your area. I'd even travel to get this step right. The shop will answer all your question like 160mm travel for downhill or 120mm for trail riding. Are your trails twisty and winding or flowing and fast? I'd personally choose 27.5 for technical and 29 for open trail. After saying all that you can ride any bike really, I still use my 26" alot when not racing just because it is fun!

In a complete change of direction I was offered a great deal on a new full suss Whyte S-150s on the weekend in size large which is my size, tried one out for a couple of weeks over Christmas and have thrown my leg over the demo model in the shop and for my 5ft 11 it fits great. Its a 29er, has a decent spec and seems to be spot on for me. I had started looking at hardtails due to cost but the deal has brought it within reach with a bit of saving, cant wait to get it now!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome to the Whyte club....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JesseD
    Due to the fact I have a very understanding wife, not much saving was actually required to buy the bike and I picked up the S150-S at lunchtime yesterday. Being the big kid that I am I then promptly took an early finish from work so I could get an hours ride in before heading home!

First impressions are - what a bike!!!!

It rolls over everything with relative ease and gave me confidence to go into technical bits a bit quicker and to trust the bike, that said it also gave enough feedback to me so I didn't do anything too stupid and end up in a pile on the floor with broken bones!

My LBS set the fork and shock for me and have encouraged me to learn about the settings and what works for me, I have a lot to learn about how to set up properly for my ride style (which I also have to figure out what that is) so I suppose my next opurchase is a shock pump. I still have some setting up to do such as saddle and bar position to get this comfortable and spot on but despite all that, during my hours blast yesterday it flew over everything with relative ease, the only limiting factor for this bike is my ability!

Have a 4 hour ride planned for Saturday morning with a bunch of guys who meet every weekend and I cannot wait. Definitely gets a big thumbs up from me :D
  • JesseD wrote:
    ...so I suppose my next purchase is a shock pump.
    And it begins...
    New tyres
    New pedals
    New shorts
    New gloves
    Hydration pack
    Off-road lights
    New shoes
    and so on until next year and it's ...
    New bike. :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • JesseD
    JesseD wrote:
    ...so I suppose my next purchase is a shock pump.
    And it begins...
    New tyres
    New pedals
    New shorts
    New gloves
    Hydration pack
    Off-road lights
    New shoes
    and so on until next year and it's ...
    New bike. :wink:

Ha Ha, yep as obviously I cannot use any of my road cycling gear on an MTB such as lights :D

Tyres - obviously whatever is on there at the moment is not good enough so it stands to reason i will need new rubber immediately
    Pedals - I have SPDs which work fine but are a little battered so as the bike is new i need matching new pedals.
    Shorts - I only have bibs so baggies are needed.
    Gloves - need something with a little more protection obviously
    Hydration Pack - not sold on this but yeah maybe
    Lights - have them already, but a helmet light would be a good shout
    Shoes - have decent MYB shoes but think carbon would make me faster
    New Bike - N+1 always, think i need an XC bike and a hardtail 29er

I have figured it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission :D
  • spankwilder
    spankwilder Posts: 169
    Short travel, full suspension in a Medium or Large size.. Gears - Double ring up front, or Eagle if you want to run a single.
    Or demo a load of bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should really read a thread before posting - he's already bought a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • spankwilder
    Yar I scrolled too fast past the bit about cretins and electricity. Whyte full suss, good shout.
  • spankwilder
    ..Close though, full suss, eagle, probably a Medium or Large! bit more travel sure, but if he wants to climb fast he can just dig his roadie out.