Waterproof Over-trousers - Talk to Me...

ryan_w-2
ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
edited January 2018 in Commuting general
Today’s commmute was horrendous and my NW Atric GTX boots ended up filled to the brim with water.

I need me some waterproof over-trousers / pants to keep me dry.

Quick search of the web brings up £10 Decathlon to £300 Assos options.

Anyone have any experiences, please share!
Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Aldi had some in their last sale, you might find some in a clearance section.
    Long enough to easily cover the ankles, with three velcro tabs to adjust how snug you like the on the lower leg, and some reflective detailing.
    Not at all breathable, but any moisture tends to settle on the inside of the pants (though I've never tried them with shorts underneath, only Ron Hill Tracksters). And longevity remains to be seen, as I've only used them about half a dozen times
    Overall, I'd recommend them if you can find any
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I read the title as "Oven Proof Water Trousers" ... :o
  • ryan_w-2
    Thanks Andy.

Currently have a pair of Endura trousers sat in my basket. I rated their stuff when I was into MTBing.

Will continue to hunt around for any bargains.

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Just mentioned in the SCR thread that I've tried these today having picked them up a few weeks back:

http://road.cc/content/review/142371-te ... g-trousers

Properly surprised at how effective they were
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • ryan_w-2
    Just found some Sportful No Rain bibs for £85 delivererd.

They have zipper ankles which I hope will go over the neoprene cuffs on my boots.

If they aren’t up to it, I’ll grab a pair of those trousers. Can’t go wrong for £30.

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    todays commute was horrible and I had the same experience with my NW shoes. However the last time i rode with water proof trousers I thought I am better of without them until today. you see the problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    I have some Altura Attack over trousers, but would only want them for a relatively modest distance.
    They are superb quality though, RRP of £110, Merlin 'had' them on sale earlier this year for a very bargainous £40 - got a couple of pairs for me and the missus - not exactly a gender specific item.

Cheapest I can see them for at present is £77.

I would have though a more specific cycling bib tight setup that you have alluded to would be more suitable though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    If tomorrow is as horrible as today I'm going to go for norain bibs, with my MTB overshorts to keep my thighs warm.

That's what I had an issue with this morning.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    Endura Humvee trousers work well.
    Not waterproof but do have some rain repellancy and are breathable. When they get wet, they remain light and comfortable and then dry quickly. They have velcro to adjust the fit around ankle and go over my NW Arctic boots and keep all the water on the outside. I have never had a problem with wet feet when wearing them. I wear a comfy pair of shorts or tights underneath. I don't think I care about being aero when it's raining on my commute.
    Also I have found them very easy to clean, in that you can wipe them down with a damp cloth and it removes the road dirt and mud very well. So only need to wash if get sweaty/smelly.
  • Gore ELEMENT GORE-TEX® ACTIVE PANTS

Horrendously expensive unless on sale (then just VERY expensive) but work.

Also pack down pretty small.
  • ryan_w-2
    Yea, the Gore kit looks like it’s up there with the best. Bloody expensive but still half the price of the Assos trousers.

I’m hoping the NoRain bibs will suffice. Don’t really wanna be spending £160+ on some bin bags for my legs.

• Ryan_W wrote:
    Yea, the Gore kit looks like it’s up there with the best. Bloody expensive but still half the price of the Assos trousers.

I’m hoping the NoRain bibs will suffice. Don’t really wanna be spending £160+ on some bin bags for my legs.

I have a NoRain bib as well...fine for a light spring/autumn shower but not really a substitute for proper waterproofs. Especially when the coating wears off. Suppose it depends how much being wet bothers you.
  • ryan_w-2
    I don’t care about being wet, I just don’t want my boots to be filled with water after a downpour.

I’m not interested in overshoes since they never work.

• Ryan_W wrote:
    I don’t care about being wet, I just don’t want my boots to be filled with water after a downpour.

Spatz?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ryan_w-2
    Ryan_W wrote:

Spatz?

They look like a lot of effort and are still essentially a knee length over shoe, so water can still make its way down into the shoe.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Drill holes in the bottom and they won’t fill with water......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My overshoes work well. If you have guards and flaps it's only the rain that's falling that you need worry about. And unless it's torrential you'll be ok.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Solution.

shimano-sd66-spd-sandals-12.jpg?w=1100&h=1100&a=7
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ryan_w-2
    Ryan_W wrote:

Spatz?

I bought some.

I love them.

• karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    For commuting Over-Trousers, I recommend Berghaus Deluge. £25.

http://bit.ly/2jRcp9i