Aluminium frame weight

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
1650g is this a reasonable weight for an aluminium frame?? for a new build bike. Ribble 7005 sportive

Comments

• rob39 wrote:
    1650g is this a reasonable weight for an aluminium frame?? for a new build bike. Ribble 7005 sportive

Is that including the fork?

Edit - no it’s just the frame and that’s in a size S.

You can get much lighter aluminium frames with full carbon forks like the new Allez, the Enduroad and the daft light Emonda ALR. I’m currently building a frame up bike with the latter and it’s going to come in around 6.75kg!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    For further reference, my 2015 CAADX frame is 1560g IIRC, and my old Raleigh 753 steel frame is a shade under 1700g
  • rob39 wrote:

Depends on your definition of reasonable.

My alloy Kinesis Aithien frame weighs 1145g measured on my digital kitchen scales.

That PX Galibier SL is a bargain, grab one if the geometry suits!
  • You can get much lighter aluminium frames with full carbon forks like the new Allez, the Enduroad and the daft light Emonda ALR. I’m currently building a frame up bike with the latter and it’s going to come in around 6.75kg!

That's gonna be insane! I want to know your parts list! :twisted:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No - that's a rubbish weight for a rubbish frame.

1150g for a CAAD 10. FRiend has. 6kg CAAD 10 just by running Super Record, tasty finishing kit and some lovely Zipp climbing wheels.

My N1 bike is Ali framed and weighs 6.4kg with well chosen but very obtainable standardparts (i.e. Full Red 10 speed, a bit is EC90, tubs and some nice carbon/Ti pedals - no Clavicula this or anything too silly. Does have a 80g Selle Italia saddle though, but that was £100 down from £400 in a Planet X sale)

My Solist was 7kg without too much hassle.

Ali is just as light and good as carbon.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • You can get much lighter aluminium frames with full carbon forks like the new Allez, the Enduroad and the daft light Emonda ALR. I’m currently building a frame up bike with the latter and it’s going to come in around 6.75kg!

That's gonna be insane! I want to know your parts list! :twisted:

I'll stick it up on the Bikes page when it's done. Will finish it over the Xmas holidays. It's a 52 frame so that's helped get the weight down, but there's Record going on, RSYS-SLR's and plenty of other lightweight bits.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    There’s is a big problem with that frame though - according to the advert, the pedalling dynamics are very likely to explode which would not be good. Of course, that could just be sales people talking ballox!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • You can get sub 1kg Alu frames but be warned they are even more brittle than carbon. You smack a carbon frame at that weight it can take a knock and is quite repairable but mega thin and light Alu is pretty much written off. 1200g is a reasonable weight for an Alu frame and going not far below it is pretty sensible. The cost of ultra light Alu make them not very cost effective when you consider the carbon equivalent out there .
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Is that really true about alu frames being more brittle or fragile than carbon?
    I have a 2017 lightweight alu frame used for long distance gravel and bikepacking rides, carrying me plus at times another 30kgs of load. This has done some fairly technical rides and taken some big hits and spills. The bike looks brand new.
    Ive also raced on a CAAD for a couple of seasons a few years ago, had some spills and the frame was fine.
    I'm not trying to say TP is wrong, its something other people have also said, i just haven't had that experience.
    And I'm no crusader for alu frames. I enjoy my carbon bikes as much as i do my alu, probably more so. I have a carbon hardtail 29er thats used for XC and thats also had a couple of big crashes and is fine. I also have a steel rigid mtb thats equally awesome...but heavy!
  • w00dster wrote:
    Is that really true about alu frames being more brittle or fragile than carbon?

Well think of it this way; a carbon bike can get stronger fibres used so by improving its strength to weight ratio. Yes it’s still susceptible to a knock but they can get much lighter and still be quite strong. For Aluminium, it’s an alloy which is really only going to lighter by making it thinner. The alloy composition hasn’t really changed in a decade, just the way the tubes are constructed with triple butted joints but in the middle of the tubing it’s extremely thin. Aluminium is very hard to repair. You can’t just weld it like steel. It’s properties don’t allow for it. So a knock which would be a local repair on a carbon frame could be terminal on the ultra light Alu one as you just can’t repair them that easily. The only way is to add more metal to reinforce and that’s just adding more weight which is what you tried to avoid in the first place. Carbon repairs actually make them stronger with a much smaller weight penalty for the work.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    rob39 wrote:
    The 1600g mark seems a standard weight for cheaper end frames like the Ribble 7005 and PX rt58 Alloy etc. For the slight weight penalty you are in most cases saving money and getting a reliable frame that will take some knocks. And after a good amount of use when its finally retired take it to the tip scrap metal bin to be recycled.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    eddy blockhaus is 1,150 g
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    There’s is a big problem with that frame though - according to the advert, the pedalling dynamics are very likely to explode which would not be good. Of course, that could just be sales people talking ballox!

If you are not looking for a frame that offers explosive pedaling dynamics you are doing it wrong. I'm guessing you are just an amateur and not a pro like the rest of us? :lol::lol:
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

If you are not looking for a frame that offers explosive pedaling dynamics you are doing it wrong. I'm guessing you are just an amateur and not a pro like the rest of us? :lol::lol:

Explosive pedalling dynamics isn't something that's going to fill me with confidence. If its any use my old Eastway frameset im re doing is 1.5 something Kg