Off-road in the snow,?

HIbrid
HIbrid Posts: 3
edited December 2017 in MTB general
Sunday morning and still snowing and settling quite deep here in Barkingside.

Really fancy getting out in it but not sure if I should as only have a Crossfire with semi off-road tyres.

Thoughts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good luck with the tyres, but still worth it.

Some of my favourite rides have been on nice fresh snow. Especially when the sky is clear. Plus you can't see the scary roots and things on the trails.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Love riding in the snow, but yeah maybe get some other tyres. Usually less painful if crashing at least!
  • Thanks for the replies.
    Was still snowing heavily until an hour ago so didn't go, with better tyres I would have gone out.
    First weekend I've not been out for months now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Snow is wicked fun for riding as long as the ground underneath is frozen. Grip is either immense or none existent and goes from one extreme to the other without any warning.
    I broke my collar bone last time I rode in snow but still had a great day.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I was out in it other day and was quite surprised how grippy it was as I wanted to try out a new rear tyre had fitted a minion dhr 2.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I ventured out in the snow on Sunday and there were parts that gripped and parts that didn't. Ended up on my arse once but all part of the fun. Went out again last night over the woods and it was tough conditions. Hard underneath the surface and a bogey/wet mess on top. Extremely difficult especially over roots. No grip on going down or going up. Always great to be out though!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)