Trek v Cannondale (BB90 V BB30)

jamie4759
jamie4759 Posts: 117
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I like the Domane and Synapse bikes but I am concerned about possible BB issues with both ranges. Are there any advantages or disadvantages with one over the other? Is the BB choice enough not to buy one or the other? I will not be using the bike in the wet, but I cannot stand creaks and clicks and I do not have much of a DIY mentality.

All advice welcomed. Any views on either model (not just the BBs) also greatly received.

Regards

J

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Don't buy solely on the basis of bottom bracket standards. Both bottom brackets are press fit and tbh with regards to potentially creaking there is not very much difference.
    Press fit bottom brackets are not difficult to remove or fit with the right tools - so you don't really need to have a DIY mentality.
    Both bikes are highly rated - so it is your personal preference. I cannot think of a bike with a relaxed goemetry which has a screw thread bottom bracket.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'd agree with Letap, I have the 2017 Domane SL5 Disc
    https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 7000-2017/
    Its a really nice and comfortable bike. I've upgraded some components to bring the weight down a touch, but even as a stock bike it was really good. No creaking noises going on at all, I've had it a while and done a fair few thousand miles on it. I did a service at the end of the Autumn, replaced the BB, not that it was creaking, but because it cost me about a £10 and as the bike has gone into hibernation I thought I'd replace it with the service. (Mine has Shimano Ultegra chainset and BB). I've been riding Trek's for years and never had a problem with the BB.

I'd also not think twice about getting the synapse either. Heard lots of good things about them from club mates who ride them.