Any DT Swiss RR21 Dicut owners?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I've been looking to get a new wheelset after the rim on my Mavic Ksyrium Elites cracked. Budget is around £500 and have been looking at Hunt Aero Wide, Mavic Ksyrium Pro and DT Swiss R21 wide rim. I hear a lot of good things about the Hunts and Mavics but am slightly put off the Mavics after past experience. Hunts look good and I like the idea of a UK based company. DT Swiss are £400 on Wiggle at the moment and they get a lot of good website reviews (where the rrp is £650) but can't find too much from owners. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has them?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    not used them but the hubs are supposed to have the same internals as the 240s hubs, which are great, spokes are also dts, i'd assume the rest of the bits are of similar quality

400 quid seems a good price given that just a set of 240s hubs will cost around that depending on config/store

if the rims ever get worn out/damaged, the hubs should still be fine and you can rebuild
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Yea, I have heard good things about the hub. I also like the wide internal width, in the bikeradar review Conti 25mm's measured at 27.5mm. Have read a couple of comments about spoke noise when under load at slower speeds, that's the only minor concern at the moment.
  • I took them for a spin yesterday and am very happy. Not a wheel expert and haven't ridden too many wheelsets but they are definitely more comfortable than my Ksyrium Elites and feel marginally quicker too.

Another thing I noticed was that the hub is almost silent when freewheeling, which doesn't seem to be the case for some that I've seen on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcoDsIp8svY )... and the road.cc review mentioned that it's on the clicky side... any ideas why mine is silent?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Have some on my Canyon. Faultless for the last 18 months - 2 sets on 2 bikes (his and hers). Yep 240s hubs which is always a nice starting point. Running mine with 28mm GP4000s.

On both bikes the hub is far from silent when freewheeling.
  • GrenW wrote:
    Have some on my Canyon. Faultless for the last 18 months - 2 sets on 2 bikes (his and hers). Yep 240s hubs which is always a nice starting point. Running mine with 28mm GP4000s.

28's must run pretty wide given that my 25's are closer to 27.5 with the wider rim. I really like it. That's strange about the hub... hope it isn't a problem on mine.
  • GrenW wrote:

Same here, came with my Canyon Endurace. So far so good, only had 6 months but no problems. As said, the rear freehub is very loud when freewheeling but just the way it is, ratchet very loud but that is the design apparently.
  • sungod
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Another thing I noticed was that the hub is almost silent when freewheeling, which doesn't seem to be the case for some that I've seen on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcoDsIp8svY )... and the road.cc review mentioned that it's on the clicky side... any ideas why mine is silent?

the hub uses star ratchets ( https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technology/w ... echnology/ ), noise varies a lot depending on how much grease is in there

when new it takes a while for any excess grease to be squished away, as that happens they'll reach 'normal' volume

if they ever get really loud it's a sign that a bit of grease is needed (use the correct grease, only a tiny amount is required)
  • If you read the blurb, it mentions "The distinctive sound" so they expect the hub to be loud.
  • Cheers for the replies. I figured that the noise, or lack of, might be down grease but if they're anything like my old Mavics, it'll be thousands of miles before any of that gets squished away. As others mentioned, it seems like most are noisy out of the box. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks but hopefully it's not an issue.
  • sungod
    there's only a smidge of grease on the ratchets - any more and they won't work properly - when servicing i use a small brush to just 'paint' some of the special grease on, it lasts ages

depends how much riding they get, but you'll find the sound ramps up over time
  • prhymeate
    sungod wrote:
    there's only a smidge of grease on the ratchets - any more and they won't work properly - when servicing i use a small brush to just 'paint' some of the special grease on, it lasts ages

depends how much riding they get, but you'll find the sound ramps up over time

I guess they put just a smidgen too much on mine. Still no change although they've only seen 300 miles. The sooner the better tough, I can't bring myself to buy a bell to alert people if I'm behind them :oops:
  • prhymeate
    Well, out of curiosity I took the hub apart. Looks fine and isn't full of grease. However, after removing the cassette I noticed that one of the cogs has slightly cut into the hub itself. I'm assuming this isn't normal, the cog did feel a little loose but I've no idea how that part would wear away. It was installed properly too. Any thoughts? Sorry, I know the picture isn't great.

https://i.imgur.com/zINagQ7.jpg
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    That’s 100% normal.

You should see the state of my freehub. Poor thing.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • prhymeate
    Ryan_W wrote:
    That’s 100% normal.

Oh ok. The only other hub I've serviced is a Mavic one and that looked as good as new after thousands of miles.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Shimano cassettes tend to bite into most alloy freehub bodies, perfectly normal.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    That’s 100% normal.

Oh ok. The only other hub I've serviced is a Mavic one and that looked as good as new after thousands of miles.

Probably a steel freehub not alloy.

It's worth making sure the cassette lockring is fully tightened....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • prhymeate
    Svetty wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    That’s 100% normal.

Probably a steel freehub not alloy.

It's worth making sure the cassette lockring is fully tightened....

I'm pretty sure it's fully tightened but I'll give it another check just to be sure. cheers.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I am thinking to replace my fulcrum racing sport with them, what do you think?
  • prhymeate
    YiannisM wrote:

I'm really happy with them. I don't really have much to compare them with as I've only really ridden on Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's and Mavic Aksiums before, plus other low budget wheels. That said, they do feel a bit quicker than my older Ksyriums and they are far more comfortable. I run 25mm tyres on them but they measure closer to 27.5 ( going by bikeradar measurements below) so how much of that comes from the wheel and how much from the extra tyre width is difficult to say. The difference is more than what I would expect from just the wider tyres though. If it was between the two, I'd definitely go for the DT Swiss over the Mavics.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-50531/)
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Prhymeate wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

I'm really happy with them. I don't really have much to compare them with as I've only really ridden on Mavic Ksyrium Elite S's and Mavic Aksiums before, plus other low budget wheels. That said, they do feel a bit quicker than my older Ksyriums and they are far more comfortable. I run 25mm tyres on them but they measure closer to 27.5 ( going by bikeradar measurements below) so how much of that comes from the wheel and how much from the extra tyre width is difficult to say. The difference is more than what I would expect from just the wider tyres though. If it was between the two, I'd definitely go for the DT Swiss over the Mavics.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-50531/)

I was looking for the fulcrum racing zero, that they have better bear rings, 100g heavier and 250euros more expensive, thats why i tempted from those