Entry Level Bike Advice (Trek 1.2?)

Lee B.
Lee B. Posts: 6
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Everyone must be getting tired of these types of posts, but I throw myself at the mercy (and wisdom) of the forum anyway. For a first time road bike buyer, it is quite overwhelming, I don’t even know what I don’t know. I am 43 years old and training for my first triathlon (though I could easily see myself doing longerish 2-3hr training rides). My budget is extremely limited, but I am still hoping to get a lot of use out of this bike (years) before I feel the overwhelming urge to upgrade. So… I’ve narrowed it down to a few options… (all prices are Canadian dollars, and believe me these are the best deals I could find in my area. I am only including prices to get advice on relative value for my money)…

- Trek 1.2 for $799 (I think its my top pick; it is the cheapest bike I found with sora shifters),
- Specialized Allez Sport, $999 (also sora, but is it worth the extra cash)
- Felt FR60 for $799 (only claris, is sora really much better for a new rider? Or should I be considering other things more)
- Cannondale CAD Optimo $799 (claris)
- Jamis Ventura Sport $815 (sora)
- Giant Contend 3 $789 (claris, not on sale anywhere)
- Contend 1 $1099 (sora, I think out of my price range and also not on sale)

Again, thank-you for your help, my LBSs only specialize in one or two brands so it is difficult to get good advice when comparing across stores. (I know I will have to try them out first, but each bike is at a different shop and being a new road rider I don’t really trust that what feels best now will be the best bike for me in 2 months once I’m stretched out a little. I want to have a good idea going in. My planned, which may be flawed, is to try them in order of value for money and take the first one that "feels right")

Sorry for the long post, but I really do appreciate any help you can give me,
Lee

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    On that price range you can even find tiagra that is way better than Sora. 2 years ago ive bought orbea avant H30 with 105 for 880 euros with some gifts like the pedals. After 1.5 years ive sold it for 500(so yes you can also find good 2nd hand bike)

Canyon is on your money and is great startinghttps://www.canyon.com/en-cy/road/endurace/2018/endurace-al-5-0.html

Now as far as about trek is not bad bike, ive ride it from a friend not bad bike, but on the heavy side, and awful brakes.

Now between claris and sora there is not contest, big deference, but still tiagra is the bare minimum for serious cycling for me.

Other options are stores like decathlon then they are brands like planetx or boardman that offer good specs on a very reasonable price.
  • Get the one that fits....
    There are lots of options out there, but the best advice is to get the best fit. As per poster above, there is more bang for the buck if you go secondhand; but you need to know what you are looking for.
    If more than one is a good fit, then get the one you like the look of; as you will invariably feel more inclined to get out on it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    YiannisM wrote:

Canyon is on your money....

Other options are stores like decathlon then they are brands like planetx or boardman that offer good specs on a very reasonable price.
    Think you missed the Canada bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yiannism
    cooldad wrote:
    YiannisM wrote:

Canyon is on your money....

Think you missed the Canada bit.
    You are right, i missed that part. Still i am pretty sure that he can find a better deal than those, even as a 2nd hand. From a quick search at http://www.jensonusa.com they are better bikes on his price range. I cant believe that i can find better deals on a country with less than 1M population than Canada.
  • Thanks, for your advice. It seems that the sora gearset is really not a great option and maybe I will have to push my budget or, more likely keep looking at used bikes.
    I know pricing worldwide is different, but to put things in perspective. The Trek 1.2 at $799canadiian translate to about 525euro or $600us.
  • I’ve been looking over some of the used bikes I’ve had my eye on and wondering which is better an older bike (say 5 yrs) with tiagra or 105 gearset or a new bike with sora, if they are roughly the same price.
  • I have been looking at this. Full 105 for $799 USD!

https://www.diamondback.com/century-78412
  • yiannism
    I have been looking at this. Full 105 for $799 USD!

https://www.diamondback.com/century-78412

Thats what i was talking about.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. Still looking... the Diamondback looks fantastic, but they do not ship bikes to Canada direct from their website. I did find a lower model Diamondback (with Tiagra gearset) at a LBS , it comes with disc breaks though and I'm trying to find out if they are triathlon legal where I am. I may also be able to get a Janis Ventura race or Orbea Avant H40 (2015 model) at reasonable prices with Tiagra components. Are these decent bikes, I only know the bigger brand names.
  • I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice—and especially for pushing me look harder to find the right bike. I had to stretch my budget slightly, but found a Focus Cayo with full 105 gear set and crank, aluminum body, carbon forks for under $1000 Canadian (which works out to $700 Euros or $775 US). A pretty good deal I think, well I’m very happy with it. Now if we could just do something about this damn snow...