SRAM Rear Derailleur No Tension

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 674
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Been having some issues with rear shifting, couple of crashes didn’t help.

Anyway, was faffing round with the RD, and the end cap came off the gear cable, one thing led to another and I needed to replace the whole cable. So I did that.

Had some issues threading it the right way through the RD to get it in the right place for the clamp bolt. To make this easier I unscrewed the cage from the RD, got the cable in the right place.

However, I can’t work out how to get the cage tension spring working again. It’s screwed back together but there’s no tension in the spring at all to keep the chain tension.

Any quick fix tips for it? Seems like a straightforward thing but can’t see any simple guides on how to fix it and can’t quite work out which way to tackle it. Assume something needs twisting/turning to get some resistance in the spring.

NB might have used some wrong lingo above. Red arrow in pic points to bolt I undid, which houses the spring which now doesn’t tension anything.

tubeless.png

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you have undone the lower pivot you will have de-tensioned the spring. That you messed with this just to re-route the cable is a bit concerning. Unless you feel confident in re-tensioning the spring (by locating the tabs on the spring in their slots then winding the cage as you re-locate it on the mech body) you may be better getting your LBS to sort it for you TBH as it can be a tricky job requiring a fair bit of force and dexterity.

You shouldn't need to undo this just to re-fit the cable......................
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cgfw201
    Svetty wrote:
    If you have undone the lower pivot you will have de-tensioned the spring. That you messed with this just to re-route the cable is a bit concerning. Unless you feel confident in re-tensioning the spring (by locating the tabs on the spring in their slots then winding the cage as you re-locate it on the mech body) you may be better getting your LBS to sort it for you TBH as it can be a tricky job requiring a fair bit of force and dexterity.

You shouldn't need to undo this just to re-fit the cable......................

Aware, it just like the most practical way of getting it in a the time. Needed a third hand to hold the cage out the way, and point the cable through the right hole and was easier without the cage there after a few times failing to do it with the cage attached. The cable routing in the RD is more complicated than in shimano ones from my limited experience.
  • cgfw201
    Fixed this...not sorted original issue. Shifter doesn’t work any more.