Btwin Tribün 540 resell value

smpw
smpw Posts: 4
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Relatively new to cycling which at the moment has been largely indoors on Zwift, as this works for me. Have done the usual research and swaying towards the Btwin Triban 540 as my first road bike, given the positive reviews. My only concern would be that I get them impression that the resale value is perhaps not as good as some of the other well known makes as I suspect I will sell on after a couple of years.

Would I be better going for a second hand well known bike that keeps its value or stick with the Triban 540 current selling at £799.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Forget resale value.

Straight off you are down 50% on any bike. The triban range all get good reviews - but dont buy a bike based on resale value. Most people convert their old bike into a winter bike if it'll take guards.
  • smpw wrote:
    Relatively new to cycling which at the moment has been largely indoors on Zwift, as this works for me. Have done the usual research and swaying towards the Btwin Triban 540 as my first road bike, given the positive reviews. My only concern would be that I get them impression that the resale value is perhaps not as good as some of the other well known makes as I suspect I will sell on after a couple of years.

Would I be better going for a second hand well known bike that keeps its value or stick with the Triban 540 current selling at £799.

The 540 is a very good VFM bike to start with, as a percentage of the initial price, the depreciation on it will probably be much less, compared with a higher price ‘big brander’ with the same ( or similar ) spec.
  • oxoman wrote:
    Good starter bike whilst you decide if cycling is for you. Once your addicted buy mega bucks nice bike and keep old one for wet and winter rides with mudguards on. It's called N+1 and can be very addictive.
    Very true. Although a fair few people I know with 540s have deemed them worthy of receiving component upgrades, and not bothered with a mid range better known brand bike at all. The 540 is capable of bridging the gap from starter bike to workhorse / Sportive bike, with no more than a couple of minor tweaks.
  • smpw
    Thanks for the feedback chaps, looks like I will go for the Tribun 540. Might just wait a couple of

weeks to see if goes in the sale.
  • PlanetX Bikes are also mad cheap and good, RT-58 with tiagra for £400 on a sale etc.
  • smpw
    Guys just a follow on from my original post - My wife purchased me a Battaglin Alex CR MO 4 road bike about 20 yrs ago with the following -

Campag Brev crank - 52 AS 39 AS
    Campag Mirage brake/shifts
    Campag Avanti Derailleur

I was going to sell the bike and put the proceeds to the purchase of the Btwin 540 but was thinking that the campag components might be worth keeping. Also can't find any information on the bike frame I have, so would be interested if anyone has come across this type of frame.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    They look nice - why not use that?