Newbie looking for advice

Joshua240696
Joshua240696 Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in MTB general
Evening all

Just thought to introduce myself as I have been lurking in the shadows over the last week or 2. Im Josh, 21 from Birmingham and have been riding mtb tracks such as cannock chase and llandegla for the last 5 years on and off. My current rig is a 2012 lapierre 214 zesty with a few of my own little touches.

What I've posted to ask, is there any groups or rides etc that members arrange to meet on and build a social circle so to speak. I work almost 6 days a week and don't have any form of social life but looking to change that drastically, hopefully whilst trying to find people to ride with. Any suggestions? It's just me, my bike and my VW camper so doesn't have to be close.

Thanks for any help guys
Josh

Comments

• Have you tried Meetup.com. It may not be popular in the UK but here in San Diego it is. People organize group rides at local trails and pretty much invite anyone willing to show up. Its was a great way to meet people and explore new trails when I was new to town. If there aren't any activities in your area then start a new group and see if anyone wants to join you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you checked out the Cannock Facebook page?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I recommend looking for local MTB clubs and groups in your area, Facebook is a great tool for that.
  • Swinley Forest has a good FB Group and excellent Bike Hub. Weekly social rides every Thursday at 19:00 come rain or shine- this time of year just add lights!
    Very sociable and there's always someone on the FB group that's up for meeting for a ride
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MattyB85 wrote:
    Swinley Forest has a good FB Group and excellent Bike Hub. Weekly social rides every Thursday at 19:00 come rain or shine- this time of year just add lights!
    Very sociable and there's always someone on the FB group that's up for meeting for a ride

Birmingham is a bit of a schlep to Swinley.....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Any suggestions? It's just me, my bike and my VW camper so doesn't have to be close.

A bit of a schlep you're right, however he did say it didn't need to be close