Cheapest textured braking surface

gsk82
gsk82 Posts: 3,570
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to improve the braking on my winter bike as it's currently terrible compared to my summer bike, which had sram red brakes and exalith rims. I've ordered some new campag dual pivot brakes already and was thinking about the wheels.

What are the cheapest wheels with textured rims?

Thanks
Gary
"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Is it worth it? On winter roads the surface will be scratched to bits in no time from the grit and salt.

You will quickly adjust to the difference in braking. Just give yourself that extra bit of time to stop.
  • Get some Swissstop Flash Pro pads. Brilliant in the wet.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    redvision wrote:
    Is it worth it? On winter roads the surface will be scratched to bits in no time from the grit and salt.

You will quickly adjust to the difference in braking. Just give yourself that extra bit of time to stop.

Yeh I doubt it.

I think you either need to hope the new brakes, and perhaps some new pads help things, try and anticipate\give yourself more time\ride slower or switch to hydraulic discs.

I have Exalith rims for the summer, and hydro discs for the winter.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fancy rims for winter is expensive. The best braking on any alloy rim I have tried is on the ambrosia nemesis tubular. It is a non machined sidewall too so they take forever to wear out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Also keep the rims and pads clean, in my experience that makes a massive difference too. In the dry not so much, but in the wet a layer of water is much easier to clear than a paste of water and brake dust. I don't go mental to clean it all, just use a car sponge with soapy water after a weeks commute or a long ride, then rinse off.

In terms of pads, I've used Swisstop green and Koolstop Salmon and yes they do improve wet weather stopping vs stock Shimano or Campag, but to be honest I have more luck with using Wiggles Lifeline pads at £4 a pop and changing every couple of months. That keeps the braking consistent and stops the rims wearing where your old pads have grit and metal embedded in the rubber.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I use Koolstop Salmon with Shimano R650 (Ultegra) long drop brakes and old Mavic CXP22 rims, the braking is surprisingly good actually.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • It's never going to be great, so you just have to manage your breaks. Personally I experimented with swiss stops but in the end, the standard Campy pads seemed to me to be the best. The H Plus Son's seem to be a step forward but they wear very quick.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Cheers all.

I don't intend to spend much. I was hoping someone would bring up something cheap that I'd missed.

I've not had a problem with them yet, but realise they are atrocious and it could cause a problem at any time, particularly on my commute. Hopefully the new brakes will sort it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Another one for Wiggle's Lifeline pads. I use them on 105 brakes with Shimano R501 wheels, they brake just fine for commuting.
  • You can get Mavic Open Pro Exalith rims for hand built wheels - http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... o-exalith/
  • You can get Mavic Open Pro Exalith rims for hand built wheels - http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/2017/05/1 ... o-exalith/

I’m sure they’ll make fantastic budget winter wheels :roll:

Not available until July either according to site. May have warmed up a bit by then

Not available until July either according to site. May have warmed up a bit by then

I know you're trying to be a sm$rt a$rse with your rolling eyes emoji, but had you read the blurb you'd see that the rims were released this July and Strada expect to be able to sell them from December i.e. now.

Off you pop and troll somewhere else.

I know you're trying to be a sm$rt a$rse with your rolling eyes emoji, but had you read the blurb you'd see that the rims were released this July and Strada expect to be able to sell them from December i.e. now.

Off you pop and troll somewhere else.

They are still nearly 300 quid for what will be used as winter wheels. Think about that. Not trolling, just cos you disagree. So stop crying wah wah troll.