Power2max bottom bracket question

baroid
baroid Posts: 87
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
Another question about power meters.
I am thinking of buy the power2max NGeco FSA Gossamer Megaexo power meter and understand that to use my Shimano chainrings I need the 110 4-S version.

However my question is about bottom brackets; on one bike I have Shimano Ultegra with a BSA Hollowtech bottom bracket and on the other I have Shimano Dura Ace with a BB86 bottom bracket. Will the power meter fit on both bikes or will I need some sort of adapter.

Looking forward to your replies

Cheers

Baroid

Comments

• The Spindle on both Shimano chainsets will be 24mm. If your power meter will fit one BB it will fit the other. Although I am not sure the Megaexo will for the 24mm BB if the Shimano ones do. My experience of Mega exo was that some are much narrower. if its 24mm its fine.

Edit

Just a look at my bikes. I have 2 with Hollowtech (Shimano 24mm) and one with an FSA-SLK Light MegaExo chainset and I have changed them around from bike to bike with no issues. Non of the bikes have the same BB system so there you go.

Bikes in question are Scott Plasma with BSA English thread, Bianchi Sempre Pro (BB30) Converted to Hollowtech and a Oltre with a BB386 - Each bike has had all the chainsets interchanged at one time or another while fettling.
  • If you have shimano then the rotor 3d24 will be compatible with no need to adapt your bikes.

Not your original question I know but another option.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Baroid wrote:
    Hi
    Another question about power meters.
    I am thinking of buy the power2max NGeco FSA Gossamer Megaexo power meter and understand that to use my Shimano chainrings I need the 110 4-S version.

However my question is about bottom brackets; on one bike I have Shimano Ultegra with a BSA Hollowtech bottom bracket and on the other I have Shimano Dura Ace with a BB86 bottom bracket. Will the power meter fit on both bikes or will I need some sort of adapter.

Looking forward to your replies

Cheers

Baroid
    All Shimano chainsets for Hollowtech 2 BBs use the same axle diameter - 24mm. P2M The FSA Gossamer Megaexo power meters will be a direct swap with Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, & Tiagra chainsets. As will Rotor 3D24 versions.
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    i have a related question. for my 11 spd bikes then i need the four bolt version.
    but my winter bike is on 105 10spd, 5 bolt.
    if i get the 3d24+crankset, i can use my 11spd 4bolt rings.
    but what rings do i put on my winter bike?
    will the 11spd e.g. will the 105 11-spd chainrings work with the 10spd chain and cassette?
  • I've swapped a 3d24 between 10 and 11 speed with no issues.
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    I've swapped a 3d24 between 10 and 11 speed with no issues.

thanks, that's useful!
    one more question, do you use the 5-bolt chainrings from rotor/praxis or your own shimano chainrings?
  • I use the 3d24 with praxis rings on 10 and11 speed - no problems at all with either and I'm very fussy about bike set up. I also use an 11 speed shimano chainset on an otherwise 10 speed shimano winter bike with no problems.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    pan280 wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:

thanks, that's useful!
    one more question, do you use the 5-bolt chainrings from rotor/praxis or your own shimano chainrings?

Answering your actual question; if your spider is for 5 bolt chainrings, use 5 bolt chain rings. The spacing on 4 bolt chainrings won't fit. I use Rotor Aero chainrings on a 3D24 P2M.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    pan280 wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:

thanks, that's useful!

Answering your actual question; if your spider is for 5 bolt chainrings, use 5 bolt chain rings. The spacing on 4 bolt chainrings won't fit. I use Rotor Aero chainrings on a 3D24 P2M.

Praxis chain rings for me as when I bought could not get a 4 bolt version compatible with shimano chain rings. Shift nicely and no discernible, for me, difference between them or the Lutheran crankset they replaced.