4iiii Power Meter Crank Advice

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Ultegra 6800 version works okay with 105 5800 cranks. I think there's only a weight difference?

Odd question but I've been incorrectly delivered the wrong crank, so if the seller is out of stock of the 105 then I'd like to keep the Ultegra.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Yes it will work fine with a 105 chainset and hollowtech II bb.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yes it will work but the colours won’t match, you’ll have one side grey, one side black. Now this sort of thing wouldn’t normally particularly bother me but if you’re paying this sort of money then you might as well get it right.

I’ve just bought a new black one to go with black 105 cranks. I previously had a silver stages on there and in the end it just bugged me that my best bike wasn’t perfect. I’ve now migrated the stages unmatching onto my mtb which I’m not as bothered about.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Yes it will work but the colours won’t match, you’ll have one side grey, one side black. Now this sort of thing wouldn’t normally particularly bother me but if you’re paying this sort of money then you might as well get it right.

Most people won't notice the difference in colour. If the OP has got this in the black friday sales then the price he paid was a bargain and i would say keep it.
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    I've been using a 105 4iiii crank on two Ultegra bikes for the last six months without any problem at all. Even the very subtle colour difference between the black 105 and dark grey Ultegra doesn't bother my ocd as much as I worried it might.

I bought the 105 version to save myself about £100 but if you'd like to swap I'd be more than happy :lol:
  • Yep £269 for an ultegra PM isn't bad. I'm not overly fussed about colour but as you say I'd prefer it to match.
    Unfortunately I've realised it's also 175mm and I ordered 165mm...That would be an interesting pedalling experience!

Looked on PBK and they are out of all 105 but have 165mm in Ultegra. I'm not sure that's an exchange they'll be happy with...
  • There is a 165 Stages for sale on Facebook but for 460.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I run a 4iiii 105 with an ultegra chainset no problem.You can only tell if you look closely and their is no weight difference.Infact a similar 105 stages power meter crank was ever so slightly lighter than an ultegra crank.