Genesis Zero 3 disc

oatmealtwice
oatmealtwice Posts: 21
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi there

I currently have a Defy 2 which I have commuted on and want to get a 'best' bike for weekends and old-man sportives etc

The Genesis Zero 3 disc appears to tick many boxes - carbon, discs, Ultergra. I like the look of it. And I like the brand sadly enough (I have a Flyer which I love).

You get can get the 2017 model for £2K.

I just wondered (and apols they are newb/common questions)

a. will I feel that much difference between the Zero and the Defy?
b. It's quite a bit of cash. I'm assuming there are better value for money bikes out there?
c. I'm guessing if I'm buying a carbon means I should spend a bit more on pedals etc?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    A. The Zero 3 has a lower stack than the Defy, I assume you are ok with that? Carbon vs Aluxx SL should be a smoother ride than your Defy, assuming you also run your tyres at appropriate pressures for your weight. May or may not be lighter than the Defy.

B. You could probably get the near equivalent Defy Advanced 1 cheaper e.g. £1600 at Pauls Cycles if they have your size. Other brands are available.

C. Fit any type of pedals that you prefer that match your budget, don't have to be top of the range.
  • Hey, thanks for the response. I'd be fine with a lower stack - I have a long body and find the Defy very sit-uppish.

I will have a look at the Defy Advanced 1. Keen to stick with my LBS - have found them them very supportive. They are Giant stockists.

I also like the Equilibrium but the weight puts me off. Maybe the weight should not be an issue and I just need to get fitter.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I also like the Equilibrium but the weight puts me off. Maybe the weight should not be an issue and I just need to get fitter.

The equilibrium is a lovely bike but more suited to long, casual, winter or touring rides really rather than the more 'race' orientated Zero
  • Thanks HaydynM. Ideally I'd like to get the Equilibrium and the Zero out of pure greed :-) But I think I'm going to get the Zero with one eye on maybe joining to a club next year to try and do some faster stuff.