De Rosa - Help me price this bike

fiendoidel
fiendoidel Posts: 28
edited December 2017 in Your road bikes
Hello

Not sure if Your Road Bikes is the right place to post this, but I am after some help with the pricing of a bike.

I intend to buy the following bike from my sister, but naturally we both want the price I pay to be a fair one. I thought the best way to come up with the ‘market value’ would be to ask the hive mind of the forum to reach an average price.

The bike is a 2006 De Rosa Avant - carbon frame with veloce groupset (compact; 172.5; 13-29 cassette) Easton vista sl wheels, deda carbon stem and bars, and fizik arione saddle. Frame is immaculate except for one small (5mm) spot out of the lacquer on the top tube and usual scuffs around the dropouts from getting wheels in and out. Drivetrain needs a clean, but shifts smoothly. Mileage is a difficult one, but It was a ‘best’ bike and I imagine that it probably did between 2000 and 4000 dry miles.

Images below - what do people think?

Photo%2002-12-2017%2C%2021%2023%2052.jpg?dl=0

Photo%2002-12-2017%2C%2021%2024%2011.jpg?dl=0

Photo%2002-12-2017%2C%2021%2025%2024.jpg?dl=0

Photo%2002-12-2017%2C%2021%2026%2044.jpg?dl=0

Comments

• The above images aren’t showing on my screen.

Try this instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v91qdqi539mv ... f4rla?dl=0
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Still can't see the pics, but if the bike is from 2006 then there won't be any viable market value for it now anyway. Probably worth a few hundred at most, but it will only be worth whatever price you agree.
  • Does this work?

26C1AF60-F0A3-48FC-896C-1156845315E7
  • How can I be finding this so difficult!

What about this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138839082@N03/37918013015/in/photostream
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Fiendoidel wrote:
    How can I be finding this so difficult!

What about this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138839082@N03/37918013015/in/photostream

Just spotted someone on Gumtree offering a 2 year old De Rosa Idol for £950. Price paid when new was £3200. So that's a ~60% drop in value in 2 years. That gives you a rough idea of the depreciation in used road bikes.

Your sister's bike is 11 years old but you don't mention what it cost new. In any case my guess at a fair price would be £350
  • Ok. Thanks.

In case it helps anyone else form an opinion. Original bike (list) price was £1800. Purchase price (bought in a sale) was £1500.

Any other guesstimates welcome.
  • I would say under agrand is more realistic. It is quite old and there are just sooooo many used bikes available nowadays. It would have to be a limited edition or something special to hold any real value.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I would say under agrand is more realistic. It is quite old and there are just sooooo many used bikes available nowadays. It would have to be a limited edition or something special to hold any real value.

I would say if someone offers you £350 you should snatch their hand off and that assumes it is in excellent condition.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    I would say under agrand is more realistic. It is quite old and there are just sooooo many used bikes available nowadays. It would have to be a limited edition or something special to hold any real value.

I would say if someone offers you £350 you should snatch their hand off and that assumes it is in excellent condition.

Worth a bit more than 350. If I had to put a exact value on it I’d say between 450 and 650. Frame alone maybe 300
  • lesfirth wrote:

Worth a bit more than 350. If I had to put a exact value on it I’d say between 450 and 650. Frame alone maybe 300

I’m glad it isn’t just me that thought £350 sounded a bit low - it would mean I have have paid too much for the last few 2nd hand bikes I have bought!

When I think of a £350 bike I expect alu frame, carbon forks (probably trek, giant, etc) very standard finishing kit,stock wheels or possibly askiums and 10s tiagra / 105 maybe - all well looked after; a decent winter commuter basically. This bike feels a little bit more up market than that (even taking into account its age).

Mind you, this is why I am asking as it’s difficult to judge a ‘fair price’ when buying off a relative, so thanks for all opinions.

Any one else care to weigh in with a price so I have a few more figures to base my average on?
  • imposter2.0
    Just to be clear - you're buying the bike, but you want people to value the bike higher than the current values you are being given?
  • trivial_poursuivant
    trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
    edited December 2017
  • Imposter wrote:
    Just to be clear - you're buying the bike, but you want people to value the bike higher than the current values you are being given?

Ha! Not quite.

I was just a little surprised at a £350 valuation. The purchasing of a family member makes things a little more complicated and, as I have no interest in starting some family feud, I just wanted to gauge the average price so that if my sister says ‘I spoke to my friend Xcxc yesterday and they think you fleeced me’ I can explain that the price I paid was the average amount that x number of people on the forums thought the bike was worth.....if that price is £350, then it’s £350.

Hope that explains things. I just want to pay a fair price for the bike and for everyone to be content!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    These things are worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for them. One could sell on Ebay for loads of money becasue there are two keen bidders loooking at the same time, alternatively it could fail to sell because on that occasion nobody is looking.
    You don't want to fleece your sister which is understandable. Think what the most you are prepared to give for that bike is. Tell her straight out that you are prepared to pay that much for the bike. If she accepts, great you're both happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So it's 11 years old. I think 350 sounds about right.

Whoever said a grand needs their bumps feeling. Straight off it loses half its value.

Does it fit you ? If it doesn't then it's no use. Are you the same dimensions as your sister ?
  • cougie wrote:

Whoever said a grand needs their bumps feeling. Straight off it loses half its value.

No one did!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Didn't you ? It's late. I'm struggling. Apologies.
  • cougie wrote:
    Didn't you ? It's late. I'm struggling. Apologies.

We all pretty much agreed UNDER a grand. After seeing what it cost new
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    £350 is a good shout. No way it's worth even £500 let alone any higher.

£300 was my gut reaction.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    As with all older bikes, unless its some sort of sought after frameset, the value lies in how much the buyer likes it. Its a nice bike to be fair, and looks in good condition. I'd probably pay up to £400 but then I'd rather pay £300..... thats the game you play with 2nd hand stuff
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Obviously condition is paramount in valuing a bike irrespective of age. If it is VGC then £350 is a bit light in my view given the De Rosa brand. I think £400-£450 is more reasonable.
  • Thanks all.

I’ll see if anyone else is bored enough respond over xmas / new year to give me some more estimates. After that it’s time to get the calculator out.
  • fiendoidel
    edited December 2017
    double post
  • imposter2.0
    There won't be any residual value for a 12 year old bicycle, if that's what you're thinking. A calculator is not really going to help..
  • Imposter wrote:
    There won't be any residual value for a 12 year old bicycle, if that's what you're thinking. A calculator is not really going to help..

Calculator is to work out the average of the prices given in this thread.
  • fiendoidel
    edited December 2017
    Double post
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I've changed my mind...I think its worth a million pounds. That may affect your average though..... ;)