Disc brake caliper compatibility

GREAVESIERED
GREAVESIERED Posts: 10
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi, I have a Focus Cayo disk frame with Shimano BR-RS785 disc calipers on with 160mm rotors. I believe this frame is classed as post mount. Is it possible to use the new Shimano Ultegra BR-R8070 caliper (but is classed as flat mount). So can a flat mount caliper work on a post mount frame ?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    No, don’t think so. You can fit post mount calipers on a flat mount frame as you use an adapter to lift the caliper. But you cannot fit a flat mount caliper onto a post mount frame as the calipers mount closer to the frame.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Correct. I have the same post mount brakes on my last build and my current one has flat mount Dura Ace, which is becoming the norm for road disc frames...

PP
  • I just thought the flat mount may connect to a thin flat adapter and still be close enough to the disk as I have 160mm rotors.
  • I have the new Shimano R-9170 hydraulic levers, BH90 hose kits and BR-RS785 calipers. Does anyone have the same combo or has tried this combo. Shimano compatibility chart lists this combo as ok. Appreciate any thoughts.