Does anyone know if Halfords have bike sales at certain times of the year?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

excuse my intrusion - but I wanted to see if anyone here recalled from earlier this year.

In a nutshell, I am considering buying a bike on the Halfords Cycle to work Scheme - but as it will be at full RRP, am considering trying to grab one earlier in the year, as I won;t see the bike until June at the very earliest if I go that route.

To negate the price difference, I have BC discount (Which I do not believe you can use with C2W vouchers) and can also buy vouchers through my work for 90% of the actual value.

So what I am hoping for is for them to perhaps lop 20% off the bike I am after (RRP of 1K) and then I can bring it down to not far off what the scheme cost would be.

So just wondered if anyone has bought a bike in 2017 or 2016, and can recall when specific sales on bikes (Boardman is what I am after) might have happened - Easter potentially?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfords have random pricing whenever they feel like it I think. Doubt they sell anything at RRP.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • daniel_b
    cooldad wrote:
    Halfords have random pricing whenever they feel like it I think. Doubt they sell anything at RRP.

True to a degree, but I expect lots of their bikes go through at full RRP on the cycle2work scheme (Or equivalent) as lots of people only have a small window within which they can buy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not between now and Christmas, people are buying the kids pressies, wait until the new year.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • C2W goes through at whatever the bikes price is when reserved. If you reserve it when its on sale you can buy it at a later date
  • daniel_b
    Yeh I realised that POD - it's just that as my scheme is only open for a 4 week period, the chances of that happening, are robably fairly slim. Hence why I was weighing up the options of loading a card that costs me 16% less to load that it's actual face value, using BC discount, and hoping to chance on a sale at any point in the next 6 months was worth it.

I chickened out in the end, and have just decided to use the scheme, and if a sale happens to be on, all well and good, and if not, then it's still a reasonable deal.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Daniel B wrote:
    Yeh I realised that POD - it's just that as my scheme is only open for a 4 week period, the chances of that happening, are robably fairly slim. Hence why I was weighing up the options of loading a card that costs me 16% less to load that it's actual face value, using BC discount, and hoping to chance on a sale at any point in the next 6 months was worth it.

I chickened out in the end, and have just decided to use the scheme, and if a sale happens to be on, all well and good, and if not, then it's still a reasonable deal.
    To be honest I bought my Boardman Team Carbon road bike through the C2W scheme and it just happened to be with 20% off when I reserved the bike.
    Next day it was another £50 off online so I went into the store and told them, they checked and said. Don't worry we will do the bike at £750 and you can use the other £50 on accessories.
    Can be fairer than that.

Never had any problem with Halfords and always buy from them, cheapest , when I use their 20% off any cycling related goods other than GPS and BIKES.

Regards.

T