Evans order delay

Pigeons in flight
Pigeons in flight Posts: 282
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

During a particularly trigger happy evening of online shopping, I managed to bag myself a few good deals from Evans and looked forward to picking up the goods in store in 3 days time, as per the estimated availability indicated in the confirmation email. That was on 20th Nov. I am busy and hadn’t got around to chasing Evans for the order...however, today I received an email from them advising me that the Castelli Free Aero bib shorts will not be available until 22nd February 2018!! The order also comprised a pair of Gore bib shorts and 2 ss Castelli base layers....I haven’t heard anything re the progress of their delivery yet. I have sent their customer service team an email asking for an update on the other items in the order and have cancelled the Castelli shorts and asked for my money back.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when buying from Evans - where they have taken your money for a product they obviously do not physically have?
Never mistake motion for action
Tweet@gmunrop69
Trainerroad - GMan69

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Has anyone else had a similar experience when buying from Evans - where they have taken your money for a product they obviously do not physically have?

Not from Evans but had similar experiences from other stores, most recently Tredz and wiggle.

Just contact them and demand your money back.
    You might lose the deal but you will find offers at other stores (probably not far away on the price) which do have the products in stock.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I bought a Timbuk2 bag from them years ago, and I think it took months (like between 3 and 6 months) to arrive, with several delays in between. I stuck with it because it had been such a good price, and they did ultimately deliver it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    But are you actually going to want to wear a pair of bibshorts before the end of February?
    And had a better deal come around, presumably you could cancel the Evans order at anytime?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Daniel B wrote:
    But are you actually going to want to wear a pair of bibshorts before the end of February?
    And had a better deal come around, presumably you could cancel the Evans order at anytime?

Possibly. The last couple of winters have been relatively mild.
    There was a local sportive in early Feb this year and quite a few riders wore shorts or Knicks.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I bought a Timbuk2 bag from them years ago, and I think it took months (like between 3 and 6 months) to arrive, with several delays in between. I stuck with it because it had been such a good price, and they did ultimately deliver it.

To be fair to Evans, I don't know how long ago you are talking but there used to be ridiculously long lead times on Timbuk2 non-stock orders.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

To be fair to Evans, I don't know how long ago you are talking but there used to be ridiculously long lead times on Timbuk2 non-stock orders.
    After casting wild accusations about, I’ve gone back and checked. I ordered it in 2013 when it was showing as in stock and they charged me when I placed the order. Then they told me quite quickly after I ordered it, it would be shipped a month later, and it ended up being 2 and a half months, with me getting two other estimated delivery dates in between.

Still using the bag every day though, so it was worth the wait.
  • Daniel B wrote:

Yes, as my preference is to wear bibs under bib tights (sans pad...obvs). I also wear bib shorts on the turbo. I’ve been in touch with Evans customer service - they have ‘unconsolidated’ the order so that I get the other items sooner (just before Xmas is current estimate...).

I remain a dissatisfied customer and thought it best to flag in case others on here are sucked into the same ‘deals’. Caveat emptor and all that...
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69