Cross gearing

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited December 2017 in Cyclocross
I am in the process of changing my gearset on my cross bike from Sram to Shimano 5700 (keeping 10 speed due to cost and the fact I was given shifters and front/rear mechs) and need to replace my cassette and chain as they are pretty knackered, and as the mech I have been given is a short cage I am thinking of chucking on a 12-28 coupled with a 36/46 chainset.

What do you guys run and do you ever find yourself wanting for another couple of smaller gears?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Gearing is a personal choice based on fitness and preference, so don't let anyone else's choice influence you. If you've already been using your SRAM-equipped bike, you should already have a pretty good understanding of which combos work and which don't, so just go with that.

Having said that, 34/42 + 12-25 used to get me round most courses. My lad is now on 34 + 12-28 with no issues either.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ^ What he said, it depends a lot on personal preference. How happy were you with what you had previously?

38 x 12-32 for me, 34 x 12-32 for my daughter. I'm an inveterate spinner, 38x28 would be a more mainstream bottom gear for an adult (which is equivalent to Imposter's 34x25).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I run 46/34 and 12/27. I used to run 12/25 but found sometimes the bottom gear was a bit hard going on the last couple of laps on some courses.
  • JesseD
    Last couple of days I have been taking more notice of the gearing I use when riding off road and on local trails etc and reckon I can get away with a 28 as my largest sprocket, we do have so quite technical trails with some rocky steep bits which probably are more suited to MTB riding but worse comes to worst I can get off and walk, for Cross racing I think 12-28 with a 36/46 chainset will be fine.

Thanks for all the responses, cross is new to me and as usual I am overthinking it when i should just get on and ride!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    This time of year, when it is properly muddy, then it is always worth considering on all the difficult sections whether it is quicker running, rather than riding. that is one of the reasons why super low gears aren't usually necessary for racing cross.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ^^ All that, just to advertise an oval chainring...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    This time of year, when it is properly muddy, then it is always worth considering on all the difficult sections whether it is quicker running, rather than riding. that is one of the reasons why super low gears aren't usually necessary for racing cross.
    Interesting variation on the run vs ride decision at Hillingdon last weekend, in the snow. Pedals were becoming iced up to the point where it might take several hundred yards of going slowly, kicking cleats against pedals and repeated attempts before you could clip in. In those conditions (albeit very rare in UK racing) it was worth doing almost anything to avoid unclipping!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • JesseD
    Imposter wrote:
    ^^ All that, just to advertise an oval chainring...

:lol::lol:

Thanks Absoluteblack, I do ride and lots mainly road, some cross and at this time of year lots of turbo work too.

My pedal efficiency is good as well, comes from years of riding track/fixed and rollers.

:roll: