Shorter in seam bib shorts

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2019 in Road general
Enjoyed a 2 week holiday in Majorca this year....the weather being VERY HOT but fantastic. First time cycling on the island...blowing steam out of my backside between Soller and Valledemosa on a daily basis ......

But......the deal was two weeks holiday....with restriction of cycling to one week for me and the rest of the time being a tourist with significant other who doesn't cycle :(

So getting to the point of this post....as the weather was very sunny I managed to build up a proper cyclist sun tan....great definition between pale tops of legs under shorts and the rest a nice shade of Mediterranean bronze .....to which my wife commented as looking a bit daft when wearing normal walking about type shorts ...a pair of two tone stripes legs :D

I don't want to fold / turn up my bib shorts as I don't want to stretch them and as they are compression type shorts they get very tight if turned up so my question is ....is there a manufacturer that produces shorter inseam bib shorts for men so that I get a bit more tan to keep the significant other happy and hopefully extend my riding next :D

I have tried a couple of pairs of women's shorts ....lot shorter in the leg but not sure about the chamois pad as its slightly different and have only tried the shorts on in the house and not had chance to ride the bike in them so not sure if the pad would be suitable for the gentlemens regions :wink:

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have tried a couple of pairs of women's shorts ....lot shorter in the leg but not sure about the chamois pad as its slightly different and have only tried the shorts on in the house and not had chance to ride the bike in them so not sure if the pad would be suitable for the gentlemens regions :wink:

I was going to suggest hot pants like Kylie's, but you covered that in your opening post, oh well.

Even your tan up off the bike or don't bother, you can do either of these and be just like a normal person.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for all the replies... :roll:
  • Not that I am aware of. Unfortunately the smaller you go then the smaller all over most shorts will be, which is especially an issue with bib shorts due to their "braces" suppose you could try smaller sized shorts instead of bib ones to see if makes a difference, would imagine they might be too tight though.
    On a similar note, Sean Yates used to be famous for wearing shorter length shorts back in the day.
  • Rule 7.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    GIANT brand Tri shorts on order....
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    surely it would be easier and cheaper to just buy longer walking about in shorts ?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    A variation of these would do the trick.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/shorts/endura-fs260-pro-bibshorts-64-99

Standard leg is pretty short, just need to get the right chamois size out of the 3 widths.

They have an RRP of £100, but I got lucky and bagged half a dozen for £45-£50 each.
    Personally the standard leg is too short for me, so I keep that pair purely for turbo use, but the others are amazing, they are right up there with my La Passione and Rapha shorts interms of comfort and fit.
    For reference, I am light, and ride an Arione so went for XS and Narrow pad.

Having said all that.........
    fat daddy wrote:
    surely it would be easier and cheaper to just buy longer walking about in shorts ?

Your man FD makes a fine point here - why not just buy some longer leg cargo style casual shorts - assuming you are 100% happy with your cycling shorts that is?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The whole point of a cycling tan is to show that you're a cyclist. Hot pants on a bloke will not be a good look.
  • Been looking at a few classic cycling docs recently from the 70's (Sunday in hell etc) and the shorts seemed to be noticeably shorter in those days. Jerseys looked far nicer too :)
  • Anonymous
    fat daddy wrote:

Wife spent a bloody fortune on new walking about type shorts to kit me out this summer. I tend to wear shorter shorts for walking ( above knee )

So trying to compromise and keep her happy, with a bit of spending on my self

Confusing ?

It is !! And I'm married to her !!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Decathlon do walking about shorts for not very much money at all anyway.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    castelli inferno, this time of year you may find them with a good discount

i used them in 30-40 degrees, excellent for long hot rides, the climbers jersey is a good match, neither will block as much uv as normal weight shorts/jerseys
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    I have a pair of Solo bibs which are surprisingly and noticeably shorter than all my others. I now primarily use them for exactly the reasons you describe. Not easy to find but their website says they are coming back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I have a pair of Solo bibs which are surprisingly and noticeably shorter than all my others. I now primarily use them for exactly the reasons you describe. Not easy to find but their website says they are coming back.

Cheers ,will take a look
  • scottlum
    scottlum Posts: 1
    I have short femurs, and most cycling shorts are way too long. However, Giordana has shorts with shorter inseams as an option: https://shop.giordanacycling.com/collec ... cm-shorter and https://shop.giordanacycling.com/collec ... leg-length

The chamois is extremely comfortable but not bulky--perfect for long rides in the saddle.