New bike suitable for disability

wavey_davey
wavey_davey Posts: 4
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, first time posting here, so be gentle with me!

I began cycling again 2 years ago after a very long time away.

Currently riding a Cube Attain SL, which is great, however...

I have a slight disability - only half a left hand, which makes gear changes from small chain ring to big dificult, and braking almost impossible!

I have adapted / adopted so that I can use my right hand brake, and have re-routed cables previously to make my right hand the rear brake, rather than the front.

I am looking at getting a new bike and my big question is...

Do bikes with either Di2 or SRAM etap (or similar?) make it 'easier' to change gear?
Is it as simple as a tap to change?

All advice welcome.
Ta.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Can't say anything about E shifting but I would always prefer to be able to brake in front with my "good"hand as the front brake delivers the most of the braking power......
  • The current set up is the traditional - front brake on the right and back brake on the left.

I just have to be a bit careful that I don't brake too sharply and end up over the handlebars!
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Problem Solver Cable Doubler, one brake lever pulls both brakes. And a bar end friction shifter in a handlebar butt to control the front mech. Works for me as I struggle to operate sti with my prosthetic hand. PM if you want more info or pics
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Yes Di2 is easier to change. It’s just micro switches really,one finger changing is all it takes,just a gentle push on the levers. A friend has two Di2 bikes as they help is older arthritic hands.
    You could also go for 1x11 so you don’t need a front derailleur. See this post. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13085261
    As you can see from the post I am a big fan and have a Trek and a Boardman with SRAM chainsets on. The hydraulic discs also allow less force needed to brake. One finger braking is a treat to use! You could also go for Di2 with discs aswell. It depends if you can put up with bigger gaps on cassette. I hardly notice them and Can easily ride all day with mates and have yet to find a disadvantage for me personally.
    Nearly all manufactures have one in their range now including cube.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Have you considered 1x11 rather than 2x11. It's becoming more popular in road bikes. Doesn't address the braking issue though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utw9NzIwhzw
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look here, for inspiration, if nothing else. One armed mountain biker, he also races motorcycles.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13061214
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Some pics:
    The Creg MGP 2013
    The%20Creg%20MGP%202013.jpg
    When the flag drops
    MGP%20Startline.jpg
    Southern 100 Castletown Corner
    Post%20TT%202013%20C%20Corner.jpg
    S100 Church Bends
    Church%20Bends%20S100%202013.jpg
    Jurby Testing
    BMR%20May%202014.jpg
    MGP Glen Helen
    BMR%202.jpg
    MGP Begarrow
    BMR%201.jpg
    Ballaugh Bridge Air Time
    Airborn.jpg
    Manx End2End 75k 1500Meters of climbing
    E2E%20Finish.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks all. Some good options there. I will be watching the 1 x 11 options - it will be interesting to see how the Strada 3T goes this year. I like the idea of the Di2 and disc brake combo, it's whether I can justify the extra cost to the wife! I am sure it will make me a better cyclist...
    Popped along to my LBS this lunchtime and they were v helpful, suggesting a Trek Madone Di2 plus disc brake set up. Also said they could do something with the position of the brake lever to make it easier.
    Decisions decisions.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I was going to suggest a Domane with hydraulic discs and Di2 on the basis that if you have less strength on one side you may be a bit unbalanced and the slightly more compliant/ forgiving Domane could be of more benefit to you than the stiffer race orientated Madone.

Incidentally, those images of a one armed guy racing a motorbike just makes my mind boggle - he must have incredible core strength to be able to wrestle the weight and g force of a fast bike round corners - incredible stuff!

Peter
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And ginormous bollocks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools