Losing my mojo?

gsheffer
gsheffer Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Health, fitness & training
So, I have this issue.

Im 47 and ride a lot of MTB. I also do a weekly long road ride. I do crossfit 3-4 times a week. I am 6’2” 200 lbs. I have really good cardio and seem to have a real good body for cardio stuff. Comes easy to me.

Sometimes (once every other week) when I ride my MTB, after about 10 mins into the ride, I get this overall weak feeling. My legs are strong, my cardio is good, but I just feel - blah. It is sorta like coming down from a sugar high. I feel tired even though I am not. I just want to sit down. It seems totally random. Time of day, weather, food intake, hydration, etc. seem to not be a factor as it happens no matter what. If I stop riding and chill out for 5 min it goes away and I can continue on my ride. Only happens every so often, but it is a pain in the ass.

Any idea what this is? I would like to find a solution!

Thanks.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sounds like a form of stress, physical or mental. I used to get this for years when I was working 80hr weeks which were physical, farming, sat down for a few minutes and I was good to go for another 8hrs.

The trigger seemed to be overloading the brain while using a lot of energy.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Couple of things...
    Firstly CrossFit will f*** you up. In my line of work, crossfit is the talk of the trade - its seems that damages claims as a result of participation are the new PPI. There seems to be some very questionable practices going on... however,.. can't say much about that..

Before putting this down to stress, time of year etc.. I'd have a look at your basic HR recovery. If you are a long term athlete who's pushed it hard,, you might be getting some signs of wear. Do you monitor HR when you ride, does it happen before you are properly warmed up? What happens to your HR before during and after the episode?

What about if you start at a more relaxed pace for the first 10 mins until you are properly warm?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    10 minutes in?

Given you don't seem to have mentioned a warm up, I suspect your body is simply reacting to being asked to push hard straight off - take it steady for the first twenty minutes at least.

Personally on the club run I can feel 'off' for the first hour, once the blood has been flowing for a while it tends to sort itself out.
  • I think it might be a warm up issue. Never really thought about that. I will give it a try.

As for crossfit. Not sure what you are talking about, but it has changed my life. Everyone I see at my gym has had their life transformed because of it. I have been doing it five years and had no problems. Awesome stuff!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    People are getting injured on the kit, because its rough and ready. Plus the train to fail regime seems to make it a slam dunk for negligence claims. I get its very popular and its possible we are seeing a lot of claims in the same way as there are probably a lot of Ford Fiestas involved in accidents. I don't do PI, I do IP, but one of my client firms is doing a lot of work with CrossFit injuries.

Anyway back to the point in question :
    http://myzone.org/blog/myzone/resting-h ... -recovery/

You might find this interesting.
  • diy wrote:
    People are getting injured on the kit, because its rough and ready. Plus the train to fail regime seems to make it a slam dunk for negligence claims. I get its very popular and its possible we are seeing a lot of claims in the same way as there are probably a lot of Ford Fiestas involved in accidents. I don't do PI, I do IP, but one of my client firms is doing a lot of work with CrossFit injuries.

Anyway back to the point in question :
    http://myzone.org/blog/myzone/resting-h ... -recovery/

You might find this interesting.

Oh, man, too bad. I guess Crossfit is more of a risk than pilates or jazzercise. :)

Thanks for the HR stuff. Never even really thought about monitoring HR. Guess it is something I need to do.

Thanks!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    See a doctor to get blood tests to rule out Diabetes, not saying that it, just that what you describe is not right.