Replacing Tiagra rear mech sti shifter question

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited November 2017 in Road general
I need to replace my right hand shifter. I have a triple chainset. There are a variety of tiagra shifters available second hand on ebay. Do I need to replace it with exactly the same model or can I go for a different version? Do I have to get a 9 speed triple shifter the same as mine?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As long as you're happy with mis-matched shifters any Shimano road 9 speed RH shifter will do.

My 10 speed 105 triple bike has the original silver 5600 shifter on the right and a black 5703 I bagged for £26 on Ebay on the left. That kind of thing would really annoy some people, but I was happy to spend the savings elsewhere. I can't really see them when I'm riding it, but it makes me smile whenever I pass it in the garage. It's a bit like a dog with one floppy ear.
  • keef66
    Just out of curiosity, what happened to the old one? Crash damage or have the internals exploded?

My 9 speed Tiagra on the winter bike is still silky smooth
  • In answer to your question - bit of a nightmare really. The rear mech cable broke at the entrance to the shifter and left some frayed cable and the barrel inside the dhifter underneath the mechanism. It looks mposible to get out unless I dismantle the shifter to get under the mechanism and that is beyond my capabilities. Unfortunately this is a 10 year old shifter which doesn't have a screw underneath like most new shifters, which enables access to the bottom of the mechanism.
  • keef66
    My right hand shifter on the 105 eats the gear cable every couple of years or so. I usually recognise the symptoms of crunchy and sluggish gear changing and replace it in time, but once I ignored it for slightly too long and it snapped completely mid ride. Fortunately once back home I was able to fish out the nipple and the strands of wire with some forceps. Think I was lucky to have been in a highish gear when it snapped, so it was all near the cable entry point. Far trickier if you're in a low gear when it snaps and the debris jams the mechanism so you can't shift it at all.

Have you detached the brake cable and taken the shifter off the bars to see if you can shake anything out of it?
  • keef66
    Loads of 9 speed Sora and Tiagra double shifters on Ebay for not very much money.
    Just buy a pair and bin the LH one.