Best bike for £1000

Tomhump
Tomhump Posts: 5
edited November 2017 in Road general
Hi.

I currently have an Eastway Emitter R4 2016. I've had this a year now and love it but I'm after a change and maybe an upgrade.

I paid just over a grand for the eastway a year ago after reading it was voted the best bike of 2016. I'll be looking at selling this one and getting another for the same price.

Any advice?

Comments

• Buy a red one, they’re the fastest.
  • Buy a red one, they’re the fastest.
    Great help - thanks
  • Try posting in the correct forum
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Tomhump wrote:
    Hi.

I currently have an Eastway Emitter R4 2016. I've had this a year now and love it but I'm after a change and maybe an upgrade.

I paid just over a grand for the eastway a year ago after reading it was voted the best bike of 2016. I'll be looking at selling this one and getting another for the same price.

Any advice?
    Check out your local bike shops and websites like Chainreaction and Wiggle. You should put your arse on some bikes
    in that price bracket to find out which one you prefer. :wink: :roll:
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    In terms of spec, the usual cannondale or giant suggestion might get you something good on a deal. Check out Paul's cycles
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hang on - if your bike was a grand a year ago and prices have gone up in the last year - you aren't going to get much of an upgrade by spending a grand. Apart from maybe the odd sale bike.

What do you like/dislike about your bike at the moment ? Maybe a new frame or wheels or gears or finishing kit ?

If you buy another bike for a grand you won't notice much improvement I think - just that it's a different bike.
  • Tomhump wrote:
    Hi.

Any advice?

So a bike you love, but are going to replace with something unknown for the same price? Okay . . . .

Advice?

Keep it!
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Slightly over budget, but I think you'll love the below.....
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-emitter ... road-bike/

I think you should keep what you have until you have a large enough budget to notice any real difference.

Of course you could move to a different bike, but likely to be limited to 2017 Sale bikes. Which if they have them in your size could be a decent bargain. For example you could go with the Planet X Aero offering, Ultegra chainset and Tectro brakes that I would swap out for Ultegra.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-emitter ... road-bike/

Or a CAAD 12 105, limited stock but can be had for around a grand.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280309

These are different than your existing bike, I'd also prefer them to your current bike, but that's just my personal choice. There's no guarantee that you will love them (apart from the CAAD, as that is a top bike)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    no one knows anything about the OP so any suggestions are random. the op need to decide what he/she wants first and upgrade well what is wanted from that.

The post is unanswerable
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    no one knows anything about the OP so any suggestions are random. the op need to decide what he/she wants first and upgrade well what is wanted from that.

The post is unanswerable
    The OP is building up threads with the hope of selling stuff.
    Best ignore.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Yeah agreed OP is building up his post count, but very poorly it has to be said.
    I don't think its an unanswerable question though, its a pub type conversation. If you had a grand to spend on a bike, what would you spend it on?
    We will all have different requirements so different answers, no harm in it. Always helps to see what offers other people have picked up on.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The OP already has a bike worth a grand. It doesn't make sense to sell that for say £500 and then spend another £500 to get a bike that's pretty much the same standard as what he's already got. That's whats confusing me.

Far more likely is that he just wants to sell the first bike.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    A good friend has the eastway emitter. It’s a fantastic bike, think you should focus on upgrading it bit by bit maybe? Unless it doesn’t fit or you’ve damaged it?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Id first of all read the most recent bike of the year reviews / watch the videos, then try to see if you can get anything better in the current sales. Only you know what kind of bike you're after since you've given us no idea.

How's the post count coming along?