Upgrade Groupset or Buy PM

nsmyth1988
nsmyth1988 Posts: 91
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Heh

I've been building a new frameset up and it's now come to the point of buying the groupset which was Shimano 5800 but I've seen that there is brilliant deals on the 4iiii power meters, so was just looking to know which would benefit me more in the long run new groupset or old 5700 and PM?

Also would a 5800 chainset be compatible with 10 spd?

All opinions welcome
"Training is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired. You stop when the Gorilla is tired"

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Powermeter, definitely.

5800 is an improvement over 5700 but a power meter is a far better purchase.

And yes, 5800 chainset runs fine with 10speed.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Second the power meter option.
  • Third the power meter option. Honestly, after the first couple of weeks of being excited about getting something new and shiny, you probably won't really notice the benefit of the groupset, but the power meter is probably the single best tool you could get to improve your fitness.
  • Power meter hands down
  • I think we would need to understand what your objectives are before advice was offered.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The power meter will definitely help if you're prepared to put in the training. If you just use it to look at your numbers as you ride though - there's no benefit.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Fenix wrote:
    The power meter will definitely help if you're prepared to put in the training. If you just use it to look at your numbers as you ride though - there's no benefit.
    I'd get a groupset for that very reason.
  • Fenix wrote:

100%
  • I've been riding a good few years have upped the amount of training over the winter as I plan to do open racing May, June time. Come January club training will be increased more it's currently 3- 3 1/2 hr 50-55 mile rides at the min but will head towards 80-90 after Christmas! Would I be able to use the power meter to help with the increase level needed?
    "Training is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired. You stop when the Gorilla is tired"
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    I'd get a groupset for that very reason.

For that very reason I'd save my money to be honest. If you're not going to benefit from a power meter you're certainly not going to benefit from a new groupset unless the one you have doesn't work.
  • fenix
    If your training is limited to riding with the club once a week then the PM is no use to you.

If you're planning on training by yourself to targets in the week (probably on a turbo) then the PM will be useful. Or a cheaper option could be a turbo that measures power.

There's not much value in knowing that the club run means you're doing XXX watts on the front and YYY watts sitting in the wheels.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    If you're not going to benefit from a power meter you're certainly not going to benefit from a new groupset unless the one you have doesn't work.
    If it was replacing a groupset on a bike being used I'd agree with you, but he's building up a new frame. A new frame with an old groupset won't feel like a new bike.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends how old and worn the old 5700 groupset is. 5800 is quite a step-up from 5700........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    Mehh. Works for me. If a groupset works - then what's to be gained by just buying a new one ? I've swapped my groupset over to new frames a few times with no regrets.
  • The 4iiii 105 crank power meter at £285 offer at PBK has really thrown a spanner in the works for me, until I saw that, I was seriously contemplating digging a little into savings to treat myself to a Direto turbo trainer.

Now I'm wondering if I should do the PM and then either hold off altogether on a turbo for now, or buy cheaper turbo like the Elite Novo Smart/ Tacx 2240 for ~£200 from Halfords.

... Too many choices!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • FWIW, buy the 5800 version of the power meter. 5700 and 5800 left only cranks are interchangeable.

I have a 5800 bike but a 5700 left only meter. It was used for like $200 versus

That way, if you upgrade later you already have the matching power meter.

One warning on your 5700 to 5800 upgrade. You'll either need wheels or a hub upgrade if the wheels are old enough. If they're on a bike sold after 2013 and it is 10spd, likely ok. A spacer removed and good to go. If 2012 and before, you will most likely need a new 11 spd free hub end. Like $50 online and usually can swap over a ratchet or pawl version if you buy the right part.
  • What I'm getting from the majority here is that PM would probably not be the best option for myself ATM! My midweek sessions consist of Zwift and 1 spinning class so your talking 5-7hrs per week

Purely the reason I've asked for advice is because all I have is the Garmin 500 with HR and thought there would be an advantage to be had as they seem to be flooding the market

Going to go for the new groupset :D:D
  • A powermeter is hands down a fantastic training tool, but only if you put in the research and reading to fully understand and utilise the data you're getting out of it.

Otherwise it's just a very expensive way of putting another metric or two on your Garmin screen.

The new 11-speed 5800 105 does feel much clicker than the previous 10-speed 5700 version so it'd be noticeable, especially if you're building up a new bike.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I doubt Theresa May comes cheap. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.