Tubeless roadside repair kit

clickrumble
clickrumble Posts: 304
edited November 2017 in Road general
What are your recommendations for tubeless roadside repair kit contents? I’ve been using tubeless for about a year now, tyres were Hutchinson Sector 28s but just now I’m changing over to IRC Pro-X. I’ve been carrying 2 spare tubes, set of worms, superglue and three CO2 bulbs (no pump). I’m not sure about the need for the tubes any more, I used one once with the Hutchinson when a worm came out on a ride, but with the IRCs I don’t think if I could get the tyres off and refit them with a tube on the roadside as they are a fairly tight fit on the rims. I did have one bad experience with the CO2 during the worm incident above, the sealant separated out and I was just left with a thin fluid in the tyre which didn’t seal, though other times when I’ve needed to top up during a ride after a puncture the CO2 has been fine, so maybe a pump would be better? Also, is it worth carrying a small tube of sealant, if so do you have any recommendations?

Comments

• Seems a rather excessive amount of kit to take
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    Frame pump
    Worms 2 sizes and tool
    Super glue flexible
    Valve core remover
    Small tube of sealant
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    In my back pocket I have and I only carry, worm 1.5mm and 3mm wide, tyre worm applicator, 60ml bottle of sealant, valve core remover and a pump. Superglue too but I don't need more than this. As the tyres can be ridden flat for a good distance without damaging the rims I don't bother carrying a tube for a shorter ride. For a long ride i would have a bag and pack a spare tyre and Co2 just in case.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds far easier just having normal tyres.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    One Co2
    One tube
    2 tyre levers
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    cougie wrote:

That is just what I thought.I was thinking of going tubeless but I don't think I will now.It looks like too much hassle.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    cougie wrote:

That is just what I thought.I was thinking of going tubeless but I don't think I will now.It looks like too much hassle.
    Thanks for replies.

I've had "normal tyres" for many years and I have to say that since I went tubeless on my "winter" bikes I've had far fewer roadside stops due to punctures (usually in the filthiest, muddiest lane) ...so it works for me. I haven't yet decided to put them on my "summer" bikes as I tend to get fewer punctures in fair weather.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tyre technology in general seems to have got a lot better lately anyway. Back in the day "incidents" were fairly common. Nowadays incredibly rare.

I've jinxed myself now haven't I ?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    One small pump in back pocket, tyre leavers and one spare tube. Two tubes if I'm going over 100km. 200,000 Vietnamese Dong (very strong plastic money note to act as a boot in the case of a big split in the tyre). And a mobile phone if all else fails. No different to that which I'd take with regular tubed tyres.

Has to be said though that my last puncture was fixed by a nice Mavic mechanic on a yellow motorbike.