Yet another wheelset question (disc brakes)

mathemagician
mathemagician Posts: 12
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all...long time reader, first time poster. So first up, sorry for starting yet another wheelset advice thread. In my defence I have spent a couple of hours reading through some of the others, but still thought it might be worth throwing my question out there. I think/hope this is a slightly more specific question.

So, I'm in the process of building a new bike and pondering wheelset options. The criteria are:
- Centre-lock disc
- 12mm thru-axle front & rear
- Campagnolo freehub*

*if there is a strong enough argument I could be tempted back to Shimano but would prefer to stick to Campy.

Budget is £400-450. Thanks to some friends in high places, I can get a reasonable discount on a couple of different brands. So would you go for:

1) Hunt Mason 4Season Disc Wheelset at £297.
2) Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST 2018 at £390.
3) Hunt Aero Light Disc V2 Wheelset at £377.
4) Fulcrum Racing 4 at £223.**
5) Any of the above, I probably won't be disappointed.
6) Something else entirely.

**the Fulcrums are Shimano only but such a big drop in price compared to the others I could be tempted, plus a Campy freehub set may come along if I wait a couple of months.

The Ksyriums look good value to me, when you take into account tyres are included...but then given the choice I'd probably go 28mm rather than 25mm, so it's a compromise. Hunts look nice, bit different compared to what I see out and about round here, but would need to factor in tyres and possibly a no tubes kit. The Fulcrums are cheap as chips next to the others.

I have a set of Ksyrium Pro discs which annoyingly are QR only on the rear - I dunno if getting the rear wheel rebuilt with a new hub is also an option? I had a quick look around and don't really see Mavic hubs readily available to purchase.

Thanks in advance, and apologies again.

Comments

• In my defence I have spent a couple of hours reading through some of the others,

A couple of hours!!!!???
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • A couple of hours!!!!???

Couldn't sleep :shock:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The fulcrum wheels shoiuld be convertable to a campag freehub buy buying the correct freehub. it should be the FH-BUU015 (campagnolo part number).

As for after market hubs to build yourself or to get someone to do it for you there are three hubsets that your budget allows and these three are just fine.

Miche Syntium DX 6 bolt 24H, 28H or 32H, or Miche Race DX 24H centrleock Q/R 100x12/100x12/142x12mm
    Novatec D771/D772 6 bolt 24H, 28H, 32H Q/R 100x12/100x12/142x12mm
    Bitex MTF/MTR 28H, 32H Q/R 100x12/100x15/142x12mm and some other standards

Shimano RS505 are cheap centrelock disc brake hubs for Q/R only.

Rims to pick DT Swiss R460, Kinlin XR22RTS/31RTS, Pacenti Forza or Velocity Quill, DT Swiss RR521 or the 421.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    fulcrum 4 might use the RT-013 freehub which is not avaiable in campag form that might be the why!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wh ... n=11349859

Choose the AFS/Shimano version
    Use "CW10" promo code for £15 extra off.
    ~£352 for me before Topcashback.

Then source a Campag freehub later, instead of paying ~£460 by selecting the AFS/Campag option.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/campagnolo-zonda-c17-disc-brake-bolt-thru-clincher-wheelset-2018-black/11349857.html?variation=11349859

Choose the AFS/Shimano version
    Use "CW10" promo code for £15 extra off.
    ~£352 for me before Topcashback.

Then source a Campag freehub later, instead of paying ~£460 by selecting the AFS/Campag option.;)

Good one- thanks...will keep those in mind. Never even thought to check cashback deals!
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Would recommend the Cero ARD 23's: https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... -23mm-7474
  • I just purchased the Cycle Division Cero ARD23 wheels. I'm waiting for them to get to Spain but I'm interested to see what they are like.
  • No takers for the Fulcrums at £223? Strikes me as a bit of a bargain, as long as I could find the right freehub.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you plan on running 11 speed then you can use either a Shimano/SRAM freehub/cassette or Campag. As Shimano are much cheaper I'd just stick with this........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    If you plan on running 11 speed then you can use either a Shimano/SRAM freehub/cassette or Campag. As Shimano are much cheaper I'd just stick with this........

Have always preferred the shifting mechanism on Campy and now they have hydraulic disc groupsets I want to move back. Plus, I can get a Potenza hydraulic disc groupset for less than R8020 via the same friend.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    No takers for the Fulcrums at £223? Strikes me as a bit of a bargain, as long as I could find the right freehub.

The fulcrums are great wheels as well I also had those. They catch the crosswinds a bit more compared to 23mm profiled wheels.
  • PBK now have all variants of the Zonda C17 disc 2018 in stock, £400 for the AFS/Campag freehub.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo