Cycling keeps you young

joe2008
joe2008 Posts: 1,531
edited November 2017 in Road general
I just got asked for ID when buying some beers in Costcutters....

I'm 53!

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The bulk of roadies near your age or even 10 years less are boring dull balding blokes with no dress sense, people who your average young cashier will think are not far off retirement.

Cycling does not keep you looking young, so you're either genetically very lucky or fortunate you found a blind cashier or a particularly thick one.
  • This would have been far more believable if the cashier was a 20 year old women who asked you out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • joe2008
    Yeah, I'm obviously genetically very lucky, although I'm adopted so I don't know my parents.

I would say I look more 33 than 53, but certainly not 'Under 25' for sure; being a lean, but not too skinny looking, 10 stone at 5' 11" helps.

The middle aged cashier was new and being shown what to do, she was obviously playing it safe in front of her new 'boss'.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited November 2017
    joe2008 wrote:
    The middle aged cashier was new and being shown what to do, she was obviously playing it safe in front of her new 'boss'.
    So it doesn't count then (the cashier thinking you're young and you resembling a 33 year old :wink: ).
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    so, you dont generate enough free radicals to age you.... pedal harder.
  • joe2008
    De Sisti wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm obviously genetically very lucky, although I'm adopted so I don't know my parents.

So it doesn't count then (the cashier thinking you're young and you resembling a 33 year old :wink: ).

I'd be quite shocked if I was 33 and asked for ID :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,787
    joe2008 wrote:
    De Sisti wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

I'd be quite shocked if I was 33 and asked for ID :D
    Meh.
    I was asked for ID when I was 50. Sometimes it is simply procedure.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Meh.
    I was asked for ID when I was 50. Sometimes it is simply procedure.

Well, I wasn't aware of that 'procedure', so I will expect to get checked often then.

I'll also allow more time to buy my beer in future, as I wait for long queue at the checkout while they check the ID's of everyone under 50 :roll:
  • pblakeney
    :roll: :roll: :roll: all you want. Some places check ID as a matter of procedure, most don't. Fact.
    Best not to take things personally. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    :roll: :roll: :roll: all you want. Some places check ID as a matter of procedure, most don't. Fact.
    Best not to take things personally. :lol:

I have to say that I've never heard of anywhere checking the ID's of 50 year olds as a 'matter of procedure'.

I'd be interested to know where you got that 'fact' from?
  • pblakeney
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I was asked for ID when I was 50.
    Maybe I just look even younger for my age than you do! :lol::lol::lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

If you read the thread from the start... you will see that I'm actually 53, not 33 as you seem to think :D
  • pblakeney
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

If you read the thread from the start... you will see that I'm actually 53, not 33 as you seem to think :D
    Ah, but you think you look 33 and were ID'd by mistake.
    I think either I was ID'd by procedure, or I looked under 21. You choose. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Ah, but you think you look 33 and were ID'd by mistake.

You think you were ID'd by procedure, I thought it was a fact?
  • de_sisti
    So, "no ID, no beer"?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mfin wrote:
    The bulk of roadies near your age or even 10 years less are boring dull balding blokes with no dress sense, people who your average young cashier will think are not far off retirement.

Cycling does not keep you looking young, so you're either genetically very lucky or fortunate you found a blind cashier or a particularly thick one.

I'm a roadie, 56, Got good dress sense as I know not to have by backside showing over the top of my trousers like the young 'uni (actually its a prison symbol that the individual is receptive, so go figure) retired at 53 (lucky aren't I) but admittedly bald. I get taken for much younger too. Its the dirty MTB and commuter riders that are looking beyond their years to me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Many middle aged men think they look far younger than they actually are, trouble is, no one else thinks so.
  • de_sisti
    philthy3 wrote:
    ,,, I know not to have by backside showing over the top of my trousers like the young 'uni (actually its a prison symbol that the individual is receptive, so go figure)
    It's not just youngsters who go around with their bum cheeks showing. Many older blokes do too,
    and they should know better.

Anyhow, I wonder if they knew where the trend originated from if they'd continue with the habit?
  • pblakeney
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

It was either procedure and therefore fact, or I looked under 21. You choose. I can't lose. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Many middle aged men think they look far younger than they actually are, trouble is, no one else thinks so.

Let alone old blokes who are 53 or 56 and would love to be middle aged again but are even long past that
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

It was either procedure and therefore fact, or I looked under 21. You choose. I can't lose. :lol:

But I don't have to choose, it's either a fact or it's not.
  • pblakeney
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

But I don't have to choose, it's either a fact or it's not.
    It is a fact that I was ID'd. As were others. Interpret it how you want. OT, cycling may help you look younger than unfit/unhealthy people but it won't knock off decades.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2008
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Some places check ID as a matter of procedure, most don't. Fact.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    It is a fact that I was ID'd. As were others. Interpret it how you want.

Make up your mind, it's either a fact that it's procedure or it's not.
  • pblakeney
    joe2008 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Some places check ID as a matter of procedure, most don't. Fact.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    It is a fact that I was ID'd. As were others. Interpret it how you want.

Make up your mind, it's either a fact that it's procedure or it's not.
    I thought it may be pertinent to your thread but I can't be arsed. It is not important to me.
    Accept the club's rules and flatter yourself or move on. Applies to this thread too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    joe2008 wrote:
    I just got asked for ID when buying some beers in Costcutters....

I'm 53!

Pensioners discount?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    philthy3 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I know not to have by backside showing over the top of my trousers like the young 'uni (actually its a prison symbol that the individual is receptive, so go figure).

Not so. Its a sign that you are wearing hand me downs, of a larger sibling, indicating you have 'back up' - so don't mess!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mfin
    CarbonClem wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I know not to have by backside showing over the top of my trousers like the young 'uni (actually its a prison symbol that the individual is receptive, so go figure).

Not so. Its a sign that you are wearing hand me downs, of a larger sibling, indicating you have 'back up' - so don't mess!

Oi, you've quoted the wrong person there, I'm not the past it one with a need to feel like I look younger :)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Lookyhere wrote:
    Many middle aged men think they look far younger than they actually are, trouble is, no one else thinks so.
    I actually think that the opposite is often the case. If you are old yourself you know the subtle signs to look for in assessing someone's age. Young people tend to look at the superficial things and often get it wrong. I'm always being mistaken for 20 years younger by younger people, whereas people my own age are usually less far off the mark.

At the end of the day if you are fitter, slimmer and more flexible than most people your age you will move and act like a younger person and appear younger. Most of those wrinkly blokes you see in the Cycling Club feature in Cycling Weekly would seem much younger if you met them in person instead of seeing a still shot of their sweaty mug in a coffee shop.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    mfin wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Oi, you've quoted the wrong person there, I'm not the past it one with a need to feel like I look younger :)

Sorry! Despite looking like I'm only 21, I'm old enough to get confused with all this technical nonsense ... :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Wow, this thread makes mumsnet seem full of normal people.
    WTF?! Again....WTF?

I think old men shouldn't be allowed to post on an internet forum after they've consumed beer from cost cutters.

ps - I'm 44 and look 64. Feel 84. As flexible as someone who has been dead for 53 years. Must be because I don't ride outside enough in bad weather, I blame wattbike.