Crank Removal Problem

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited November 2017 in Road general
I tried to remove the triple crank from my Giant SCR 2 and my crank pulley tool wont do the job.Aftwer removing the bolt from the crank, inserting the crank pulley and doing it up hand tight I then wound the crank removal part in as I have done on ther bikes, expecting it to bite at some point as it made contact with the spindle. However, it didn't bite and I just kept winding until it had gone all the way in and I could go no further. Anyone got any ideas why this happens? Do I need a longer crank puller?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you using one for a square taper on a splined crank?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Could you post a picture of the chainset? It's could be a self extracting type where you leave the outer cover on and just unscrew the bolt inside which pushes the arm off.

If you've removed the cover and then unscrewed the bolt then it would be as you describe. Hard to say without seeing the chainset in question or knowing what it is.
  • Thanks for the replies. A bit of research on you tube and I realise that there is more than one size of crank puller. I need one which will fit my square taper cranks. My tool is to thin and is designed for more modern cranks than my 10 year old crankset.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Get a piece of threaded bar (or chop down a bolt) the same thread as the bolt which holds the crank on. You only need a short piece. Screw this into the end of the spindle, then use your existing extraction tool against the end of the bit you have just screwed in. I believe you can buy little top hat shaped inserts which do the same job but sit in rather than screw in place. I'm assuming the tool you have actually screws into the crank properly and it is the central bit that is too thin.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    1964johnr wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. A bit of research on you tube and I realise that there is more than one size of crank puller. I need one which will fit my square taper cranks. My tool is to thin and is designed for more modern cranks than my 10 year old crankset.

Sizes for crank pullers did'nt change for >35 years....
    Just put a bolt in the hore for the pulling shaft.