Witnesses - Chelsea Bridge this morning

dizzydane
dizzydane Posts: 322
edited December 2017 in Commuting chat
Hey fellow commuters,

I’m appealing for witnesses for my accident at 8:05am this morning. I was knocked from behind by a woman in a black freelander this while cycling over Chelsea Bridge crossing from the south to north side. Bike is a gunmetal grey/black Pearson single speed – wearing black tights and orange gilet.

A trendy cyclist playing tunes on her bike did stop to ask if I was ok, to which I replied I was fine (only some surface scratches). Stupidly I didn’t ask for her contact details. I thought everything was ok, but have arrived at work and realised my back wheel is bent. I’m hoping the driver will be willing to pay for a new wheel (I have the drivers details), but may need to resort to going down the official paperwork route.

If anyone saw the incident or happened to be passing, please could you pm me?
Thanks!

Comments

• Afraid I wasn't a witness, but can you not get the wheel trued rather than replaced? If you were able to ride on it, it sounds like it may not be too badly bent.

Put another way: if I was the driver that's the first thing I'd say.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Afraid I wasn't a witness, but can you not get the wheel trued rather than replaced? If you were able to ride on it, it sounds like it may not be too badly bent.

Put another way: if I was the driver that's the first thing I'd say.

I had something like this, got hit from behind at low speed - thought it was just the mudguard that was goosed. Rode on the wheel for a week and it started pinging spokes, then I noticed the cracks around the spoke holes in the rim. At this point it went to the bike shop for a full check-over and even then they missed the fact that the seat-tube had deformed and the carbon seatpost was trapped in the frame.

Got the wheel rebuilt on their insurance, but had a lot of fun when I had my bike-fit and needed to adjust the seat height.

Moral of the story, get it properly checked and don't assume it'll be fine.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    I had something like this, got hit from behind at low speed.
    Same here. Car drove onto a mini roundabout and hit the side of my back wheel and carried on. The driver knew nothing about it, hadn't seen me and denied having hit me. Fortunately the driver behind him stopped and verified my story. Checked the bike over expecting a buckled wheel and it appeared fine so I let the driver go with a flea in his ear and requesting he looks where he's bloody well going. Within half a mile the back wheel was sufficiently buckled it was rubbing on the frame. Most odd. I can only assume the initial impact stressed it but it held up ok for a while, then I guess I hit a bump that pringled it.
    Anyway, glad the OP wasn't hurt. Could have been worse I guess, good luck.
  • Thanks guys! Yes, I'm grateful she hit my bike and not my knee. Plus she stopped and was so apologetic.

I have released the rear brake to still ride on it, but you guys make some good points about the assumed damage. Leaving early today, so will definitely pop into my LBS on their way home for their opinion.
  • Was the girl who stopped on a red track bike? Condor maybe? With short blond hair?

If so then she regularly rides that route so you may bump into her again and she's pretty easy to spot!
  • Was the girl who stopped on a red track bike? Condor maybe? With short blond hair?

If so then she regularly rides that route so you may bump into her again and she's pretty easy to spot!

Yes! I normally leave slightly earlier. Today was the first time I've seen her - will keep a look out next week :)
  • Worth looking into whether there's any cctv covering the crash site - I'd be surprised if not.

Also might be worth posting on Reddit's London or London cycling forums.
  • dizzydane wrote:
    Was the girl who stopped on a red track bike? Condor maybe? With short blond hair?

Yes! I normally leave slightly earlier. Today was the first time I've seen her - will keep a look out next week :)

Cool, I'll mention it if/when I next see her
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I would be tempted just to call the woman who hit you and explain the situation.

If, as you say, she is calm and reasonable then I'm sure she would be happy to pay for a repair and keep the whole thing off of her insurance.

Offer to show her the damage, I doubt she'll take up up on it, but the offer will probably reassure her that you're not trying it on.

If that doesn't work then resort to plan B through the insurance.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • dizzydane wrote:
    Was the girl who stopped on a red track bike? Condor maybe? With short blond hair?

Cool, I'll mention it if/when I next see her
    Amazing, thank you! Does she cross over and proceed along the Embankment towards Houses of Parliament?
  • Dropped the bike in at my LBS in Putney. They say the rear wheel is stuffed… So, it’s a new wheel, which I was hoping to avoid.

Tried calling her and no answer, sent a text. Shop will sort the bike out first thing tomorrow, and have given me a quote for me to pass to her. They have stated she contact them directly regarding the work and to pay for the parts (if she’s willing to go down that route).

At worst I pay myself, then pursue her later. One needs transport on Monday!

Will definitely try calling again later and explain I am having the bike fixed this weekend. Fingers crossed this can be resolved easily. :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I would be tempted just to call the woman who hit you and explain the situation.

If, as you say, she is calm and reasonable then I'm sure she would be happy to pay for a repair and keep the whole thing off of her insurance.

Offer to show her the damage, I doubt she'll take up up on it, but the offer will probably reassure her that you're not trying it on.

If that doesn't work then resort to plan B through the insurance.
    That worked for me. The guy was equal parts ashamed, embarrassed and sorry. He was surprised by the cost of components (Chorus) but didn't argue. Quote and repair by LBS. Sorted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Update: Bike was in for repair Saturday, she paid the bike shop directly and I rode to work this morning along Embankment (risking Physic gardens instead) ;o)

Woman was really lovely about it. Been commuting by bike since 2005, 2 proper accidents where the incident had to be reported to the police. This was the silliest bump in traffic ever! Incident was resolved quickly and efficiently within 48hrs. Thanks to users on this forum for the moral support! :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,327
    Excellent, good news and thanks for the update.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Good to see not everyone on this godforsaken island is a total c*nt.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

:D

You OK hun?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Oh, and good news dizzydane.
  • hopkinb wrote:

:D

You OK hun?

Ha, yes. This was a very different experience from my last incident (uber driver - say no more).

@hopkinb - All good thanks, the usual upper body stiffness and some bruising on the legs. After seeing that woman under the truck at the intersection in September, I'm grateful it's nothing serious.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    only just seen this DD, hope you are all good
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    only just seen this DD, hope you are all good
    Thanks Rich! Didn't mention it as I got off lightly compared to your crash :wink: