Tubeless vs open tubs

btwright1987
btwright1987 Posts: 11
edited November 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade to a lighter set of wheels at the end of the season for next year. I’ve decided on a tubeless ready clincher set up.

In your opinions what would be the best tyre options;
Challenge open tubulars (already have grifo and limus) or a tubeless set up, perhaps Clement XMPs?

All opinions welcome

Thanks all

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Not sure if you mean for racing or general use but I'd say tubeless definitely the way to go. Lots of promising tyres out there and seem to have come a long way in the last couple of years. My only worry with tubeless is getting a rim/tyre combo that refuses to seat properly or wants to burp constantly, not always easy to predict.
    I've got a set of open tubulars and I can't really see any major advantages over standard clinchers.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Not sure if you mean for racing or general use but I'd say tubeless definitely the way to go. Lots of promising tyres out there and seem to have come a long way in the last couple of years. My only worry with tubeless is getting a rim/tyre combo that refuses to seat properly or wants to burp constantly, not always easy to predict.
    I've got a set of open tubulars and I can't really see any major advantages over standard clinchers.

Thanks trek_dan, just to clarify it’s for racing. Found the below wheels that look pretty good.

Do you have any recommendations on an all Round tubeless tyre?

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/product/c ... er-wheels/
  • A solid rule, is that a Stans no tubes rim with a schwalbe tl-easy tire will seat and seal brilliantly.
  • Also that set of wheels you looked at, stans plus novatec hubs - perfect wheelset. I have them, with.schwalbe x-one tires. Great combo.