Eurosport on TV Player

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited November 2017 in Road general
Thinking of ditching BT TV and getting Eurosport on TV player instead. Does anyone know if it is in HD. Looking.at their site it doesnt look like it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    The TV player is pretty poor, and as I understood it was withdrawn from service over a year ago, withdrawn the very day I signed up as it happened!

The solution - gained from this forum actually, was to buy a Google Chromecast device to plug into the TV, install the app on ones android phone, and cast the signal across - and this works extremely well.

I gather that even when the TV app was available, it was as buggy as hell.

Oh and no I do not believe it is HD, although it is usually good enough that when I have visitors they don't realise it isn't a standard TV channel.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Chromecast and the eurosport app work really well together.
    Chromecast are only £20 at the mo!

I read recently you can also get eurosport through amazon tv, but i have not tried this.
  • Thinking about subscribing to this for the year. Looks pretty good value at £30. Did they do any cheaper deals last year, maybe in January?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    sirmrdeane wrote:
    Thinking about subscribing to this for the year. Looks pretty good value at £30. Did they do any cheaper deals last year, maybe in January?

They did a years subscription for £20 in January when there was a contract dispute between Discovery network and Sky.

Even at £30 it's still worth it for all the cycling.
  • They had a deal for £14.95 last week. Don’t forget on chromecast you can’t record and have to rely on their video library to catchup. Chromecast does work well though.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Daniel B wrote:
    The TV player is pretty poor, and as I understood it was withdrawn from service over a year ago, withdrawn the very day I signed up as it happened!

The solution - gained from this forum actually, was to buy a Google Chromecast device to plug into the TV, install the app on ones android phone, and cast the signal across - and this works extremely well.

Oh and no I do not believe it is HD, although it is usually good enough that when I have visitors they don't realise it isn't a standard TV channel.
    When casting Eurosport via a Chromecast it tops out at 720p I think.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    wongataa wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Interesting - clearly my eye is not trained enough to notice this :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Interesting - clearly my eye is not trained enough to notice this :oops:
    Mine neither. The hd logo is normally displayed but not sure on the chromecast limitations but a quick google shows it supports 1080p.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    When they came off Sky earlier this year they promoted the internet streaming option with a deal of £19.99 for the year. I don't have Sky, never will! So I thought I'd try this special offer just to catch the Giro for the first time.

Works really well for me. I have a computer under the telly that does all of my video stuff and the picture was great on my 65" screen. Streams well onto iPhone and iPads too, even over 3G, using their iOS app. I was able to catchup the Giro live at coffee stops while out on a ride, very cool!

Interesting also to watch live early parts of the TDF stages, the bits that don't usually get shown on ITV highlights.

If the cost to renew is a lot more, my son says it's supposed be £70, I don't think I'll bother. As a service the quality and coverage of the major tours is good, but apart from those, I don't watch anything else, I'd rather be out riding myself.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Eurosport were doing a 12 month 'Black Friday' deal yesterday for £1.99 which equates to 16.5p per month... bargain if you managed to bag it
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Eurosport is fine until you try to change payment method or leave. No response to emails, the contact phone number is a recording that tells you to email them. In the end I had to get my bank to cancel the DD on my debit card. They were a bit grumpy about it but when I went through the history of dealing with Eurosport, they agreed that I had done all that I could and cancelled the DD.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    47p2 wrote:
    Eurosport were doing a 12 month 'Black Friday' deal yesterday for £1.99 which equates to 16.5p per month... bargain if you managed to bag it

I did for those times when away from home and sat in a cafe with WiFi. No need to cast it to my TV as I have ES1 & ES2 via my Virgin Media package. I would use it in work but the place in work where I'd be able to watch TV on my phone has poor reception.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    cq20 wrote:
    Eurosport is fine until you try to change payment method or leave. No response to emails, the contact phone number is a recording that tells you to email them. In the end I had to get my bank to cancel the DD on my debit card. They were a bit grumpy about it but when I went through the history of dealing with Eurosport, they agreed that I had done all that I could and cancelled the DD.

Interesting. I've just checked how I paid and it was with PayPal. It's simple to stop any annual payments from my profile on the PayPal website. So I think I'll cancel there and see what happens. I can always then re-register with Eurosport if/when I want to, especially if there are any special deals going.

I did just check and the annual fee for internet access seems to be £30 at the moment.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D