Kickr and Elite Direto - anyone used both?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
Am currently borrowing a Kickr and finding it great on Zwift versus my old roller smart turbo, and tempted to buy the Elite Direto when the Kickr is reclaimed. Wondering whether I will notice much difference (ie. will it be buy cheap buy twice) after being used to the Kickr?

Anyone used both and can comment? Princess and the pea or anything significant? I know about the different max slope etc, it's more "feel" I am interested in from that tiny part of the Venn diagram of people who may have used both!

Cheers.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Watch Shane Miller video on the direto.
    https://youtu.be/cNhwva_6Mss
    https://youtu.be/sKd_hbGHXng

All reviews are very positive.

Also check out DCRainmakers review of both.

This should help you decide.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/ann ... tions.html
  • munkster
    Yep I've watched videos and I've read DCR, I am asking if anyone on here has used both and if they noticed a difference in regular "everyday" use. The Direto is clearly well thought of, I know...

So, I'm pretty much decided that I am going to go for the Direto but if someone (who has used both) says "it's very nice but it's no Kickr" or whatever I'd still like to ask that Q before dropping still a hefty amount on it ;-)
  • redvision
    Both DCR and Shane Miller say the 'road feel' is slightly better on the kickr, but it is louder.

Apart from that it comes down to whether you need/ want extra gradient and max power. If so go for the kickr, if not go for the direto.

I didn't have a good experience with the kickr and returned it due to a fault. That said I know clubmates who have not had any issues, apart from the whine of it (even on the kickr 2 and 3).

Tbh you aren't really likely to find someone who has tried/ owned both given that the direto has only just been launched.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Perhaps you could find someone local (or a shop) that has a Direto to have a test ride on?

Perhaps if you don't like the Direto you could part exchange it with some cash for the Kickr you've been borrowing?
  • munkster
    Tbh you aren't really likely to find someone who has tried/ owned both given that the direto has only just been launched.

Unless they used to own a Kickr and have for some reason recently bought a Direto...?

Anyway, if I don't ask I will never know. Thanks for your input however, it is appreciated :-)
  • redvision
    munkster wrote:

Unless they used to own a Kickr and have for some reason recently bought a Direto...?

Anyway, if I don't ask I will never know. Thanks for your input however, it is appreciated :-)

Yeah, sorry mate, didn't intend for my post to sound arsey.

Tbh, from doing lots of research on the direto for myself (i intend to buy it this weekend) i don't think you would be disappointed in choosing that. However, if you are happy with the kickr then the direto doesn't offer quite as much so i would probably suggest going for that.

Last year the kickr was reduced by 20% on black friday, so if you hold fire until then it may only be £50-100 more than the direto (unless that is reduced of course). Plus if you are a BC member you get an extra 10% off at CRC!
  • munkster
    Hardly arsey, no offence taken! However I have also done a fair bit of research on the Direto so I guess my specific Q was intended to be specific so the "obvious" stuff (ie. read some objective reviews, watch some YouTube vids) was "obvious" to me but maybe not anyone else since I didn't explicitly say so.

I was planning to wait until Black Friday anyway like you say, Wiggle Platinum discount will take some beating though!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Direto is excellent, but you do need a wheel block unless you like having your weight on the front all the time. TBH, 14% slope is enough for me and I don't need the reality of 20% to know its tougher. Equally, 1,400 watts is more than I will ever see. Another area where the Direto is better than the Kickr is in the inbuilt power meter. Elite claim 2% accuracy, but both Shane Miller and other reviewers say it is closer to 1%. The Direto also only needs calibrating the once unlike the Kickr. Its also lighter than the Kickr, but arguably not as solidly built as a compromise. Its solid enough though and only a baboon with a sledgehammer will likely break it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.