How reliable are Planet X bikes?

2»

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sh*t happens. So your rear mech rode round and cracked the seatstay after the accident ? That could happen to anyone and depending on the impact it could write off an alloy frame. I'm sure Rob Hayles or similar will be able to sort your frame out for not too much.
  • Years ago I had a planet x stealth TT with 100mm rims front and back. I'd either win the rainford club 10 or nearly crash from the side winds. I loved that bike :)
  • ^^ With jet elite tufos pumped to 160 psi made it skittish on the rough gravel by roundabouts but you'd touch 38mph on the long flat straight with the wind behind you.
  • Got a RT-58 a while back and sstill ride it, my winter bike with SRAM Apex and vision 35 wheels which was amazing seeing as it was £400! When its not on sale just wait and it will be a month later.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Like the look of the GALibier for a crit frame.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    philbar72 wrote:
    Like the look of the GALibier for a crit frame.

If that that galibier is half as good as their old Team Superlight then at a couple of hundred quid it's a bargain.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Does it matter considering you're ignoring all the advice on the other thread where everyone is telling you that it is too big for your height?

Been off the forum for a bit, I decided I wouldn't choose that bike and I'm going for a light bike which fits me perfectly. Went to the Planet X store to try out the aero bike and it was just too big
  • Generally good value for money. However their attention to detail and build is appalling, resulting in a downright dangerous bike. Ordered a Scandal from them - initially happy. However after three rides, a chirping from the front wheel developed. Under investigation, I discovered that the bolts holding the brake disc on had not been tightened. They had worked out and the chirping turned out to be the loose bolt heads catching on the inside of the fork. The fork was completely wrecked as a result. I duly complained about the shoddy and dangerous workmanship. However they refused to accept any responsibility due to the fact that I had fitted a mid-drive motor (nothing to do with the wheel assembly). Be careful - and if you do buy one, pay a good bike mechanic to go over every bolt before you ride it.
  • pblakeney said:

timothyw wrote:

fenix wrote:

Timothy - I think you need to look carefully at how you're buying your bikes. Personally I've not broken a frame in > 30 years of riding. I'm not 120 Kg though....

Are there bikes made specifically for your build ?

Look carefully how? The last three bikes I was the original owner, they were in warranty, I received good settlements from Wiggle and Evans, PBK screwed me a bit with store credit but that's another story.

I always buy within published weight limits. I always buy with lifetime or otherwise adequate warranty durations. What else would you suggest I do?

Again, I wish I had your luck. I am an unfortunate combination (for bike longevity) of very heavy, powerful, 140 mile a week commuter.

I ride with another big guy, not as big as me (90kg ish), he has also broken two bike frames in the last few years so it isn't just my experience.

I'd suggest going for a custom made steel frame.

Heavier, more expensive, but much less hassle and more reliable.

I was 100kg when I got back to it though and must wonder what on earth your mate is doing.

I would suggest seeing someone who can weld frames from scratch and get them to make it out of the gas bottles.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    GraemePH said:

Generally good value for money. However their attention to detail and build is appalling, resulting in a downright dangerous bike. Ordered a Scandal from them - initially happy. However after three rides, a chirping from the front wheel developed. Under investigation, I discovered that the bolts holding the brake disc on had not been tightened. They had worked out and the chirping turned out to be the loose bolt heads catching on the inside of the fork. The fork was completely wrecked as a result. I duly complained about the shoddy and dangerous workmanship. However they refused to accept any responsibility due to the fact that I had fitted a mid-drive motor (nothing to do with the wheel assembly). Be careful - and if you do buy one, pay a good bike mechanic to go over every bolt before you ride it.

And if you do fit a motor, check the brakes at the same time.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    edited February 2021
    Very good/reliable in short.

Re QC / Build I have not had a issue that being said I would NEVER ride any bike (no matter how much it cost) without checking it over first. If you don't have the tools or skill pay a LBS to do it (they will typically give it a check over for under £50), I have bought bikes from big brands before and seen some suspect mechanicals (I once had a Specialized that had no grease at all anywhere you would expect it)

I have had a few PX bikes my most recent being my current Free Ranger gravel bike. It uses the same Carbonda 696 frame as several other builders and they use the same T-700 Toray carbon fibre as brands such as Pinarello. It will be the same for Alu / Steel (i.e. they will use the same suppliers) so in terms of materials used its a non-issue.

Its understandable to be dubious about makes that are not 'big brands' but remember the factories in China (especially carbon frame factories) make frames for big names as well as under their own brands (open mold etc), There are several 'fake' carbon frames that I would not go anywhere near but open mold stuff is from reputable companies who make stuff for lots of known brands.

Their (PX) bikes are mostly sold in the UK so don't have the recognition globally as makes such as Trek or Pinarello (who have pro teams etc) but the quality is there - Ultimately its a brand snob thing really. "Oh you are riding a Planet X" - I say have the last laugh by destroying him (or her) up a climb then wait for them at the top and say "how you getting on with your {insert superbike model here}"

In the same way a H&M cotton T-shirt is made from the same stuff with the same quality as a similar T-Shirt made by some fancy designer label (chances are they use simiar suppliers anyway)

If you get a PX bike (or any bike for that matter) just make sure all the bolts and fixtures are done up to the correct torque , Check the seat tube / headset / BB etc has adequate lubrication and make sure your tyres are fitted and inflated correctly etc and you are good to go - Again a LBS can check for you if unsure.

Other considerations (irrespective of brand) is things like making sure you are within the weight limits of the bike - Typically wheels are the weak point but worth checking
  • Am I the only one who thinks that fitting a big motor is a reasonable excuse for not honouring a warranty? The frame wouldn't have been designed for strapping a heavy battery and motor onto it.

As mentioned above, I would double check any bolt before riding a new bike anyway, just for my own peace of mind and am surprised more people don't do it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    GraemePH said:

Generally good value for money. However their attention to detail and build is appalling, resulting in a downright dangerous bike. Ordered a Scandal from them - initially happy. However after three rides, a chirping from the front wheel developed. Under investigation, I discovered that the bolts holding the brake disc on had not been tightened. They had worked out and the chirping turned out to be the loose bolt heads catching on the inside of the fork. The fork was completely wrecked as a result. I duly complained about the shoddy and dangerous workmanship. However they refused to accept any responsibility due to the fact that I had fitted a mid-drive motor (nothing to do with the wheel assembly). Be careful - and if you do buy one, pay a good bike mechanic to go over every bolt before you ride it.

sorry - did a skim read but to summarise and please correct me if I'm wrong but ....

you bought a bike

you fitted a motor you bought off the internet

you broke the bike

you're slagging off the company that sold you a perfect bike that you fitted a motor to then you broke because they won't replace your mess up?

or am i missing something?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324

Am I the only one who thinks that fitting a big motor is a reasonable excuse for not honouring a warranty? The frame wouldn't have been designed for strapping a heavy battery and motor onto it.

As mentioned above, I would double check any bolt before riding a new bike anyway, just for my own peace of mind and am surprised more people don't do it.

Not at all, to then resurrect a three year old thread just to slag off the supplier is very bad form.
    General advice for anyone, if buying a bike checking it over yourself is always a good idea. If buying a bike mail order checking it over is even more important.
    If you have the ability to strap a motor to a bike you are more than capable of checking the brakes and have only yourself to blame.
  • MattFalle
    it seems however that due to the end result of the motor/bicycle intergration attempt that he didn't have the skill to do it properly.

and there, ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the matter.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I started racing on a pro carbon. There must have been something wrong with it as it did not result in an immediate propulsion to 1st cat/elite
    Insert bike here:
  • I think you’re all being a bit harsh here.

The brakes SHOULD’VE been assembled and correctly checked before leaving the warehouse - it’s one of the most basic yet important things they are required to do- I don’t think the guy is wrong to think this regardless of whether you think he should have gone over every bolt on his bike with a torque wrench or not.

I’ve had 2 mail order bikes, from rose and canyon. Both faultless. That should be the standard they are aiming for if they are selling built up bikes as opposed to just parts.

I’m assuming what the poster said is correct of course 😉
  • MattFalle

I think you’re all being a bit harsh here.

The brakes SHOULD’VE been assembled and correctly checked before leaving the warehouse - it’s one of the most basic yet important things they are required to do- I don’t think the guy is wrong to think this regardless of whether you think he should have gone over every bolt on his bike with a torque wrench or not.

I’ve had 2 mail order bikes, from rose and canyon. Both faultless. That should be the standard they are aiming for if they are selling built up bikes as opposed to just parts.

I’m assuming what the poster said is correct of course 😉

i'd take everything bad he said with a pinch of salt tbh because he seems to have a sad on that they wouldn't replace his frame after he fckde it.