New Bottom Bracket

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at replacing the bottom bracket on my bike, it's a press fit BB86.5 and has a standard Shimano SM-BB91-41 fitted at the moment. Looking for any recommendations on a replacement, something a bit smother and possibly ceramic. Can anyone offer any advice ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what you mean by 'smoother' - if it needs replacing because the bearings are rough, then a new one will obviously be smoother anyway. The standard shimano press-fit BBs are pretty good and I doubt there's anything to be gained by fitting something more expensive, whether ceramic or otherwise..
  • What he said - don't waste your hard earned :)
  • rokt
    Thanks for that,
    I was just wondering if I do pay more will it be better and will I see a difference ?
    It's not running rough, but I think it could be starting to.

A replacement Shimano is £30 ish or I can go all the way up to a eye watering £230 plus for a
    Ceramic Speed.

Looks like a straight replacement of the Shimano.
  • Rokt wrote:
    Thanks for that,
    I was just wondering if I do pay more will it be better and will I see a difference ?
    It's not running rough, but I think it could be starting to.

A replacement Shimano is £30 ish or I can go all the way up to a eye watering £230 plus for a
    Ceramic Speed.

Looks like a straight replacement of the Shimano.

Go for the Ceramic Speed, let us know how you get on
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yup - ceramic speed gets another vote here. worth every penny.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rokt wrote:
    Thanks for that,

You will not notice any detectable difference in going for a ceramic BB - other than your bank balance will take a £230 hit, rather than a mere £30 hit. But it's your money, obviously..
  • rokt
    I think you’re right Imposter, it’s just you see all these different products and it gets you thinking. I’ll stick to the Shimano one.