Better palmares 5: Merckx vs. Vos

m.r.m.
m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
edited November 2017 in Pro race
Since it's already being discussed...
Salsiccia1 wrote:
M.R.M. wrote:
No but maybe Marianne Vos vs. Eddy Merckx :P

Now you're talking. You'd still say Merckx, but Marianne is probably in the top 5 best cyclists of all time for me.
RichN95 wrote:
Salsiccia1 wrote:
Now you're talking. You'd still say Merckx, but Marianne is probably in the top 5 best cyclists of all time for me.
Most successful maybe. But best? No.
Salsiccia1 wrote:
RichN95 wrote:
Salsiccia1 wrote:
Most successful maybe. But best? No.

It's the major success in 3 disciplines for me:
3x World titles (and 5x runner up), 1 Olympic gold, 5x World Cups, 3x Giri Rosa, 8x major Tours, 18x classics on the road
7x Worlds in cyclo-cross
2x World titles, 1 Olympic gold on the track

I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing, but it's still absolutely outstanding.
RichN95 wrote:
Salsiccia1 wrote:
I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing
That's what I was referring to.
Timoid. wrote:
RichN95 wrote:
Salsiccia1 wrote:
I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing

I absolutely agree with equality, but unless a woman beats the men in the men's races, she cannot be considered better than them.

Vos would win practically nothing if she was in an open field. She competes against a protected class (females) and the best that has been in that field.

This is the Fedrer / Williams debate on bicycles.
RichN95 wrote:
Timoid. wrote:
RichN95 wrote:
Salsiccia1 wrote:

I absolutely agree with equality, but unless a woman beats the men in the men's races, she cannot be considered better than them.

Vos would win practically nothing if she was in an open field. She competes against a protected class (females) and the best that has been in that field.

This is the Fedrer / Williams debate on bicycles.
It's also like boxing. Gennady Golovkin (a middleweight) may very well be the best 'pound-for-pound' boxer in the world as many say he is, but the the simple fact is that there are dozens of heavyweights that would flatten him.
PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Merckx easily.

He's helped by the men having a fuller calendar (and Longo may beat Vos)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    What about dominance being dominance and only being able to beat the opponents in front of you?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Vos vs Burton
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    M.R.M. wrote:
    What about dominance being dominance and only being able to beat the opponents in front of you?

Then my strangle on the club run sprint with the guys I choose to go out with must put me up there....
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Rick Chasey v Andrei Griepel (When he only rode shitty little races)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago