Bikes on the Settle to Carlisle Train

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited February 2018 in Routes
Hi

I am wanting to do a route that involves putting our bikes on a train on the Settle to Carlisle railway. Northern Trains's website says that there is only room for two bikes so I wondered if anyone could confirm that info is accurate please?

Cheers.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    This is often the case on non-mainline routes.
    The Settle-Carlise is also a "Tourist" route so can get quite busy limiting space further.It will depend on the staff and how full the train is whether they agree to bend the rules.
    We had a similar problem getting from Sheffield-Inverness.Absolutely no issues on the ECML Sheffield-Edinburgh,room for about 6 or 8 but on the Edinburgh-Inverness we were told 2 only...and there were at least 12 wanting to catch the train!
    The Guard allowed 6(us included) who had pre-booked but the others had to wait and chance the next train...4 hours later.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    This is often the case on non-mainline routes.
    The Settle-Carlise is also a "Tourist" route so can get quite busy limiting space further.It will depend on the staff and how full the train is whether they agree to bend the rules.
    We had a similar problem getting from Sheffield-Inverness.Absolutely no issues on the ECML Sheffield-Edinburgh,room for about 6 or 8 but on the Edinburgh-Inverness we were told 2 only...and there were at least 12 wanting to catch the train!
    The Guard allowed 6(us included) who had pre-booked but the others had to wait and chance the next train...4 hours later.

Thanks for your response. Three of us are wanting to do this route so it sounds like we might to take a gamble. I guess we will pre-book two bikes on and just hope that the guard will show some sympathy towards us and let the third bike on. It really shouldn't be like this!

Cheers.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited February 2018
    alesupper wrote:
    Thanks for your response. Three of us are wanting to do this route so it sounds like we might to take a gamble. I guess we will pre-book two bikes on and just hope that the guard will show some sympathy towards us and let the third bike on. It really shouldn't be like this!
    Cheers.
    The website will probably let you book three anyway regardless of policy.That's how daft it is!
  • Hi. I've been on this route a couple of times with my bike, then be an official space capable of holding two bikes. But unofficially, you'll be able to squeeze several more in. I would think you'll be fine with three, the only problem is how much of a jobsworth you'll find!!
  • Holy cr@p, only just noticed how old this thread is! Blimey, it's quiet over here isn't it!
  • It's old but still very relevant because I haven't got around to doing this yet but still plan to do so. Thanks for you input.
    Holy cr@p, only just noticed how old this thread is! Blimey, it's quiet over here isn't it!