Bar tape colour

Alex99
Alex99 Posts: 1,407
edited December 2017 in Your road bikes
Hi all,
I've just had a frame repaired (circa 1960 steel) and will be building it up soon. The frame colour is bright yellow with pale blue lug lining and white decals. It will have mostly silvery (but not period correct) bits on it. I'm never sure about which bar tape colour would look good. Happy to take ideas.

My few thoughts so far:
Black - it will look a bit 'waspy'
Brown - maybe good for the classic old look, but a bit brown
Yellow - starts to look like I think I'm leading the GC
White - matches decals, will get dirty. Probably a good option though.
Fluoro green / multi colour - something mental is always an option when the sensible ones don't seem 100% right

Comments

• Either match the lug lining colour or the saddle.
  • Post a piccie so we can see and then we can post 600 different suggestions, people will get angry, Imposter will report everyone for trolling as they don't agree with him.

I reckon we can get this one to 5 pages easily.

I'm intrigued as to why someone would procrastinate so much over bar tape colour when Aero benefits should be the priority
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Alex99
    edited November 2017
    Post a piccie so we can see and then we can post 600 different suggestions, people will get angry, Imposter will report everyone for trolling as they don't agree with him.

I'm intrigued as to why someone would procrastinate so much over bar tape colour when Aero benefits should be the priority

OK then, which bar tape is the most aero?
  • Alex99
    ATYapton wrote:
    Either match the lug lining colour or the saddle.

Matching the lug lining is a nice option. Ta.
  • Alex99
    It's similar to this one. But mine is older and better.
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... ne-rb.html
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Cinelli Splash for the retro look..
  • Rule 8?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Alex99
    Imposter wrote:
    Cinelli Splash for the retro look..

Good shout. The blue/yellow and maybe that black/white is on the shortlist if I can find some in stock.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Circa 1960's steel bike = white bar tape and saddle.

There are no other options.

You can of course try other colour tapes and saddles but you will eventually come back to white and realise it just looks right on vintage steel.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Alex99
    JesseD wrote:

You can of course try other colour tapes and saddles but you will eventually come back to white and realise it just looks right on vintage steel.

I don't know about that. It's a big step. I have a matured Rolls saddle that I've got lined up. I could build it up and then Photoshop it to see if you're correct.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    In fitting with the era the bike came from - black electrical tape is the only thing you should consider.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Alex99 wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

I don't know about that. It's a big step. I have a matured Rolls saddle that I've got lined up. I could build it up and then Photoshop it to see if you're correct.

What colour saddle?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

What colour saddle?

Was black, now very dark brown with lighter brown 'highlights' It's the textured leather one, not the smooth leather that was around at some point. It's either that, or an SMP Dynamic which will make the whole thing look funny anyway.
  • Rule 8! So it's black or very dark brown tape!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Rule 8! So it's black or very dark brown tape!

this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Tape should be cotton. Black or white - doesn’t have to match the saddle. Brooks B17 (or similar) would be an obvious choice for the saddle, particularly if it’s an English frame. The alternative is a Unica Nitor or similar.
  • kenito
    kenito Posts: 13
    Alex99 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've just had a frame repaired (circa 1960 steel) and will be building it up soon. The frame colour is bright yellow with pale blue lug lining and white decals. It will have mostly silvery (but not period correct) bits on it. I'm never sure about which bar tape colour would look good. Happy to take ideas.

My few thoughts so far:
    Black - it will look a bit 'waspy'
    Brown - maybe good for the classic old look, but a bit brown
    Yellow - starts to look like I think I'm leading the GC
    White - matches decals, will get dirty. Probably a good option though.
    Fluoro green / multi colour - something mental is always an option when the sensible ones don't seem 100% right

Fluoro orange mate. 'nuff said

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138706020 ... ed-public/

dateposted-public
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Post a piccie so we can see and then we can post 600 different suggestions, people will get angry, Imposter will report everyone for trolling as they don't agree with him.

Rule 8?

Black electrical tape is the most aero option surely?
  • Step83 wrote:

Rule 8?

Black electrical tape is the most aero option surely?

But utterly inappropriate on a nice ‘60s bike. May as well buy an original Jag E type and stick a massive spoiler and some bonnet vents on it. Cotton bar tape in black, or white with the right frame. Leather saddle (or appropriate plastic one). Some things are sacred. ;)