Basso Astra sizing quandary + owner reviews?

tetm
tetm Posts: 564
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
So I have my heart set on a Basso Astra, but my difficulty is trying to work out the size.

I am only interested if I can get it in Fluoro/Yellow and it looks like there is one 56 which may be available (its not in the country) and a few 53s which I can sit on when I want.

My other bikes are a Boardman Pro Carbon size L (57 ETT, I think) which is pretty old and I can't find the geometry on it and a Kinesis Aithein in a 56 (both ridden slammed against the headset, no large conical headset)

I found this comparison website which compares vs the Kinesis.
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/bass ... a-2017-58/

Oddly the stack height on the 56 is way higher than my Kinesis, and I was under the impression the Basso was an aggressive bike, whereas the reach on the Basso 53 seems so similar to the Basso 56 that it may work with a few spacers, longer stem and the saddle set right back.

Photos of my bikes as they stand are below- since these pics i've lowered the saddle and moved it back by a few mm, both are really comfy - and put a longer stem on the Boardman (110 on each now). I'll most likely sell the Kinesis and relegate the Boardman to winter duties.

17167105458_a94bce2e93_z.jpg

22704934195_fc2fb02b2e_z.jpg

Any thoughts and opinions much appreciated as I appear to be more confused every time I look at the numbers.

Also - has anyone got one/ owned one? Is it right to go down a size? I did toy around on the Canyon sizing calculator while shopping around and they have me down a size as well.

Reviews on the web are virtually non existent and there's one owner on weightweenies but I cant join as it won't accept that Tom D won the Giro this year....

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Post the 3 bikes geometry charts here, then can work it out.
  • tetm
    Click the link above - they are all there, alongside each other.

Edit: I can't find the geo chart for the Boardman, annoyingly.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    Herd-of-cows.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tetm
    oops
  • tetm
    Here's the 53 set up to match my Kinesis. Apologies for the rubbish pic. Taking it for a test ride today.

37763234244_6502b8c95f_z.jpg

Downside is the saddle is all the way back on the rails so will see how 'long and low' I can get.
  • daniel_b
    tetm wrote:
    Here's the 53 set up to match my Kinesis. Apologies for the rubbish pic. Taking it for a test ride today.

37763234244_6502b8c95f_z.jpg

Downside is the saddle is all the way back on the rails so will see how 'long and low' I can get.

That IS a gorgeous bike 8)

You must be super flexible to be able to ride that, as that's a BIG drop from saddle to bars - how long a stem are you going to have to run?
    Other option is to get a more extreme angled stem, and run it on the bigger frame - are you going to try both?
    Just noticed you said the saddle is slammed all the way back - personally I think the next size up will fit you better, with a more aggressively angled stem if required.

What wheels are they - can't quite make out the brand?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tetm
    If I'm honest it doesn't feel much worse than my Boardman or Kinesis. Stem length is 120 I think. The issue with running a more extreme angled stem is that I want the Basso branded one as it looks ace, and it only comes as a 0 or -11 degree.

Saddlewise, I would put my Arione on it anyway which may? have longer rails.

Carbon bars, post and wheels are Microtech, which is basically rebranded Miche.

I am actually trying to buy frame and finishing kit only and get the new ultegra R8000 and just use my own wheels as the Microtech ones aren't that light, although do benefit from nicer hubs.

https://www.bassobikes.com/bicycles/roa ... -fluo.html

http://www.microtechbikeparts.com/
  • daniel_b
    The stem situation does limit you somewhat - is that a -11 degree on that one already?

Could you get a more set back seatpost, or is it the same issue where you want the Basso one?

I have Ariones on all my bikes, CXs and 00s, but can't recall if they have overly long rails or not, probably because that is all I know now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tetm
    I think the stem is already -11 and you are correct that i'd rather have all matching finishing kit.

The issue for me is that while there may be a 56 in the dealer network, it is not in that colourway and the shop sadly won't get the last 56 from the manufacturer as it would mean selling it at a loss at the price.
  • daniel_b
    Ah fair do's - so it's the 53 or nuthin.

If it were me, I think I would need to be open to the possibility of having to change the finishing kit, if required - but I too would prefer to stick with the stock kit, and I think I would find a way to make it fit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Very difficult to say just from photo's, but if it was me I'd be worried about ending up like a ball (so a rounded back). You might feel long and low, but as the bike may be too small, raising the saddle as you have done may end up with the effect of the back rounding.
    The Kinesis looks nice and in proportion, but the Basso as beautiful as it is, seems to be a bit "off". If you're comfortable on it though and happy with your overall position, then I'd go for it. Maybe ask to be filmed on a turbo and see how you look as opposed to feel?
    Somewhat off-topic, but I was looking at the Basso Diamante the other day, Cycle Republic have £900 off it, if you could add BC discount that's a smidgen under £3k. But it only comes with the MCT38 clinchers, so I'd be looking at close to another £1k to put decent wheels on it. (The Blue and Flouro Orange is in my size)
  • tetm
    I was looking at the Diamante and personally prefer the MAAP colourway but as you say its 3K plus another 1K for wheels (although I have some cheap carbon wheels).

The Astra is about £2K with the MCT38 clinchers (what I'd go for as I have wheels as noted) plus I can buy £2000 halfords credit for £1800 through work, so that makes it pretty good value.

£2,500 is my upper limit and that MAY get me the 56 frameset, finishing kit and R8000 through another dealer, but he's based in the westcountry which is a pain.

I am in no rush so may ask them to bring the 56 frameset into the shop so I can consider it.
  • tetm
    So just back from Regent's Park after a quick spin and I have to say it's a really nice ride.

Much more refined than the Boardman, which I also took for comparison, as well as being smoother, stiffer and less twitchy in the steering. When I got back on the Boardman I was throwing it all over the place, especially out of the saddle!

Saddle-bar drop was absolutely fine but the fact of the matter it was just too short. By the time the saddle was right back, I was pushing forward with my legs rather than down and I'd need a 140 stem which would be ridiculous.

The bike shop are kindly going to get the 56 (in black/black) in for me to sit on then we may discuss pricing to import the grey one (stem and seatpost only). I think it will need the 120mm stem rather than the stock 110mm but that's for a later discussion.

Thanks for the advice all.
  • tetm
    Thanks very much for the all help.

Went to look at another bike and just put a deposit down on a Colnago c59 150th Anniversary with Ultegra Di2 and 303s. Size 57 traditional which is exactly the same as my Kinesis. Happy days.

Absolutely crapped all over the Basso...which I have to say I kinda didn't want to happen due to the extra cost but it was simply insane to ride.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    tetm wrote:
    Thanks very much for the all help.

Went to look at another bike and just put a deposit down on a Colnago c59 150th Anniversary with Ultegra Di2 and 303s. Size 57 traditional which is exactly the same as my Kinesis. Happy days.

Absolutely crapped all over the Basso...which I have to say I kinda didn't want to happen due to the extra cost but it was simply insane to ride.

Glad you sorted it :)
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Good choice. Not envious at all!!
    Post pics up when you get it. Hope you enjoy.
  • daniel_b
    Lovely looking bike :-)

So you were coriordan, then tetm, and now you have metamorphised into Shirley Basso, despite owning a Colnago and not a Basso :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • i was coriordan using tetm login then reincarnated as Shirley Basso