Wrist band with ant+ for cycling?

zefs
zefs Posts: 484
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Is anyone using a wrist band that can transmit HR data to cycling computer via ANT+ but be as accurate as a heart rate belt? I read that they are not that accurate but not sure if there is one I can get to basically replace the HR belt?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Why would you want to?

Wrist based hr devices are no where near as accurate as heart rate chest straps. And as dcrainmaker has stressed on numerous occasions, wrist based hr accuracy deteriorates the more you sweat.
  • zefs
    Because I didn't want to have to wear/remove/wash the HR belt with each ride. I guess it's not a solution then.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    zefs wrote:
    Because I didn't want to have to wear/remove/wash the HR belt with each ride. I guess it's not a solution then.

Think garmin recommend washing the hr belt every 7 days. No need to wash it after every ride.

It depends on how you plan to train but if you do intend to train to heart rate data then you need accurate and reliable readings and I'm afraid that means a hr belt.
  • zefs
    Seems like it, thank you.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    zefs wrote:
    My cycling shorts & jersey goes in the washing machine after every ride. It is no extra bother to chuck my HR strap in there too. Indeed, that is what I do.
  • I bought a MIO Global optical HRM for £cheap off eBay. It works to a point - but once you start hammering away, then it starts to drift from reality.
  • zefs
    Seems like the new Wahoo Tickr Fit works better than the watches so I thought of updating this post:
    https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/hea ... te-monitor