De Rosa , Ribble or... ? Advice needed .

alfa
alfa Posts: 45
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I was reading for last few weeks topics here of people asking for advice in buying a new bike, I had my mind on one bike but then I've received an email from ribble with offer for R872 silver, for £1200 on ultegra , as part of black friday deals, some deals will come up soon on other sites too, I guess .

My first choice and first on the ' wish list ' was/is De Rosa IDOL on Ultegra , really like the design and shape of the frame and from all reviews I read it seems like a good pick.

But what about other options like mentioned Ribble bike? Every review says '' great value for money'' , I heard/read a lot about customer service there and planet x , and either is truth or not, there are always good and bad opinions .

Would you be able help with advice about my future new w bike ?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    If your heart is set on the De Rosa then buy the De Rosa. Anything else is a compromise, you’ll feel it’s not quite perfect and end up buying the De Rosa anyway. That’s my experience anyway.

OR

Buy the one that looks fastest.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    As above really.

Be honest with yourself - if you want it to say de rosa on the side buy it. I always pay more for my bikes - but keep them longer.
    Probably nothing wrong with the ribble.

I have my eye on the de rosa idol as well - fantastic looking bike.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:
    As above really.

Be honest with yourself - if you want it to say de rosa on the side buy it. I always pay more for my bikes - but keep them longer.
    Probably nothing wrong with the ribble. TBH any carbon frame with 105 is probably enough for most of us.

I have my eye on the de rosa idol as well - fantastic looking bike.
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    You might be interested in this thread from yesteryear
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12829744
  • alfa
    More I look around that harder is to choose anything, why is so many bikes on the market? Madness , and you can buy only one.

I've checked that link you posted and I knew there are same company's doing pretty much the same frames for many brands and unfortunately I've started looking closer at Ribble and De Rosa, there is indeeed many similarities . The current place for Ribble is £1200 , De Rosa £2200 , almost same spec, should I go for Ribble and buy some nice looking decent wheels for £500 ish ?
    confused.
  • kingrollo
    alfa wrote:
    More I look around that harder is to choose anything, why is so many bikes on the market? Madness , and you can buy only one.

I've checked that link you posted and I knew there are same company's doing pretty much the same frames for many brands and unfortunately I've started looking closer at Ribble and De Rosa, there is indeeed many similarities . The current place for Ribble is £1200 , De Rosa £2200 , almost same spec, should I go for Ribble and buy some nice looking decent wheels for £500 ish ?
    confused.

Think youve missed the de rosa - if you were buying from Wiggle.
  • alfa
    I am not sure where you looked at but as far I can see is still in stock.
  • kingrollo
    alfa wrote:
    I am not sure where you looked at but as far I can see is still in stock.

Yep

I want the de rosa - but the sensa giulia g2 on merlin is £1650 until midnight ! - another fine looking bike.