Cannondale Caad 12 ultegra disc or Canyon ULTIMATE CF SL DISC 7.0 (shimano 105) ?

dknightxx
dknightxx Posts: 8
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
After a crash with a car (his fault) my insurance is about to pay out for my Cannondale Caad 12 disc. Now I'm thinking about replacing it with another Caad 12 disc or getting a Canyon Ultimate disc version, I will have to eat noodles and potatoes for couple of months to afford it, thanks to Brexit and the weak pound I will have to pay about £400 on top of the insurance money unlike 18 months ago.
I adore the Caad12 it's an amazing bike, i love the classic looks and how it handles. The Canyon looks amazing too, but I'm not entirely sure about the sloping top tube but once I get it, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue I'm sure of it. I was commuting on the Caad 12 to work across London (32 miles round trip) and the idea behind it was to get something robust which can take a knock or two, I travel also with bikes i.e. fly to other countries with it and go cycling, pack it into a bus or train, cycle on poor roads or beaches everything I planned doing with the Caad12 and I'm sure it would handle it well. I never had a carbon bike and I'm concerned about the durability and robustness of it. Is it pure madness to commute on an expensive carbon bike in a very busy city like London? I heard that carbon bikes don't travel well. While commuting I came off a steel bike in difficult conditions , without any damage to the bike, it happens about 1-2 a year, so far no problems apart from the recent crash.

What should I do?

Comments

• Get the blue cf sl 8.0 when Canyon have their December sale
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Get a Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc for £1050 from Rutland instead?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    What is your budget/payout?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I would have suggested one of those Supersix Hi Mod discs that Wheelbase were doing for a silly price but not sure they've got many sizes left now unsurprisingly.
  • daniel_b
    MrB123 wrote:
    I would have suggested one of those Supersix Hi Mod discs that Wheelbase were doing for a silly price but not sure they've got many sizes left now unsurprisingly.

There's always this: https://www.triuk.com/products/cannondale/cannondale-supersix-evo-disc-ultegra-2017#.WgwFGHZpGHs

That was why I was asking for budget, a bike at the right price might leave room for some nice light wheels to turn it into something really special.

Or a CAAD 12 for sub £1550 if you go through TCB.
    https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/cannondale_caad12_disc_ultegra_road_bike_2017-ID_70746?source=aw
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    You should ignore all nonsense about carbon not being robust or durable and get whichever of the two you like the most.

CAADs have very thin walled tubes, so aren't as durable as you'd think just based on being alu. Both bikes are more than capable of doing the things you listed. (I think the CAADs look amazing though and come in more interesting colourways than Canyon offer)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Hi all ,
    Thanks for the replies. The insurance paid out already yippee :), the budget is £1500 I could stretch it to 2000 but I'm struggling to justify it. The caad 12 is such an amazing bike I think I'm going to stick with it, I heard it's better than the regular Evo and it's 1kg lighter, the Hi Mod Evo is 3000 so that's out of the question, I thought about the Cube and the new Specialized Roubaix with front suspension but I don't need/want (yet) an endurance bike, I'm sure they are great but the caad has a great ride already and I'm flexible enough to ride a racy geometry.
    I work with a guy who totaled his carbon frame and met two people who cracked their carbon frames (one managed to repair it) when travelling hence my caution.
    I'm going for the caad because I'm really happy with it, it rides well, looks great and is good value what else can i ask for?
  • daniel_b
    Are you going for the green and yellow version?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I also recently had the same problem. Crashed a Caad12 (rim brake), bust my collar, and damaged the frame. The tubes are quite thin as another poster said but the bike handles well (my fault caning it down a tricky descent lol). Ended up doing the same as you and getting another Caady. Disc this time so I can chop peoples heads off haha !! Enjoy !! Btw I bought one of the purple disc framesets, going eTap HRD with industry discounts : )
  • Sounds like a massive crash where the bike is probably the least of your worries, hope you're well and on the bike now Spartacus.
    I will be going probably for the green orange colour although I'm not entirely convinced (yet) it's the only option left in my size, the purple looks amazing.
  • The issue I have with the Cannondale is the quick release rear drop outs. This is not going to be industry standard, I don't understand why they have not put thru axles on this year?