crossing on my Canyon ultimate?

niels
niels Posts: 3
edited November 2017 in Cyclocross
Hello,

I have a Canyon Ultimate SL with Di2. A great bike
And I am thinking of using it for some 200+ km trips with gravel and mud (Netherlands) during the winter.
I want to put some big Schwalbe tubeless on my DT SWISS PR 1400 DB DICUT rims (19mm).

I know it it not ideal, but don't want to buy a 29" MTB or a CX for maybe 5-6 rides.

Will my bike survive if I maintain it well after the rides?
Is my frame okay for this kind of usage? And what about Di2?
What about the mud stack in my frame?

Thanks,
Niels

Comments

• Personally I wouldn't, there is definitely a comfort factor and with your plan for big rides it would be an issue trying to ride a road bike over that terrain, even with wider tires. You would also be surprised at just how much crud gets all over the bike, particularly the drive train, I know people use Di2 for cx but I wouldn't want to for fear of it getting trashed. Pick up a cheap 2nd hand cx bike and see if you enjoy it. That's what I did and then quickly moved to a dedicated gravel bike which I now ride a few times a week in all weather.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There not much clearance on it is there ? It'll clog very easily with mud. Basically I think you'll knacker a lovely bike.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    If you can afford to, get a suitable 2nd hand bike. Sell it after the winter, and you'll probably lose less money then you risk in Di2 components getting ruined
  • niels
    niels Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. Very useful. I will/need to go for another option... maybe a second hand or a rental.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhkU1x0HdM

You could likely get away with it earlier in the season but by this time of the year it gets a whole lot muddier (and more fun).