Multi day couch to event training

susanp
susanp Posts: 2
edited November 2017 in Road beginners
I have been a fairly active cyclist in the past but am completely out of shape right now for multiple reasons. In my mid 50s and want to challenge myself to major multi-day ride with serious mileage. Longest ride of my life has been 50 miles so far. I want to overcome personal fears of hills and distance. Training program suggestions?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Get on TrainerRoad and choose one of the programs on there. If you haven't got a turbo, the only option is to get out on the bike. If you want to get better at hills, ride hills. The lighter you are, the faster up them you are. Old school of thought was do the miles for endurance training at a moderate pace. Modern day thinking is regular shorter rides at a high intensity. You have to choose which method you want to subscribe to.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ride your bike a lot. Difficult to be more specific without knowing a lot more about you, how often/how far you ride, and how much time you can put aside for improvement.
  • As Imposter said, hard to advise without more information. How many days/miles per day, when would the ride take place, how much climbing etc? If you let us know more detail about the planned ride I am sure we can help out with some specific training plans/advice.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's all about time on the bike I think. There's no reason to not get out t the weekend. Anyone could do an hour's cycling. Next week a bit more. Etc etc.

Depending on how arduous the challenge is will detect how much training you need to do. If it's the alps then you need to get serious.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I could try and sell you my services as a coach and write a training plan but there’s no two ways about it, it’d just consist of gradually building up your time on the bike and introducing good back to back days.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Get on TrainerRoad and choose one of the programs on there. If you haven't got a turbo, the only option is to get out on the bike.

Trainerroad? Turbo? Jeeesh
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you want to get serious about training it's the most time efficient way.

It's not for everyone and may be overkill for this challenge.