Wheels Help - Fulcrum or Hunt?

PeteK25
PeteK25 Posts: 29
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Just received my Bowman frame this morning and trying to figure out what wheels to put on it. My weight usually fluctuates between 73kg and 80kg's. Ride mostly flats but encounter some windy conditions (40 - 50 kmh) quite often, so still contemplating on whether to go deep section or not due to crosswinds. Looking for rim brake clinchers and will most likely ride 25’s. I’m considering the Fulcrum Racing Zero C17’s for about $740 USD or Hunt Sprint Aero Wide for around $600 USD. Is there one that you guys would recommend over the other, if so, why? Also, are there any other wheels that you would recommend at this price point? I could probably go $200 USD higher (so ~$950) if there is something at this price point that performs significantly better than the $750 price point.

161c0tg.jpg

Comments

• Will your frame take 25's?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Nice!

I'm speccing my Palace up at the moment and have gone for the Cero AR30 evos. Trying to get it as light as I can!
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • That needs 50mm (at least) carbons. Don't worry about wind or anything practical. Just do the right thing for the bike.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Will your frame take 25's?

Yes 25s will be fine, I run 25s on mine
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    I'm also considering the Zero's and in your case, i would go for the Zero's because of ease of bearing serviceability at home. Not sure about this but was told that the Hunt's use smaller bearings which are less durable. Also, if you want tubeless in future, the Zero's arent compatible
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I like the look of the DT Swiss PR1400 dicut Oxic wheels. The DT Swiss hubs are very well regarded. There was a recent thread on here about them if you have a search.
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    That needs 50mm (at least) carbons. Don't worry about wind or anything practical. Just do the right thing for the bike.
    I really want to...was looking at the Prime RR-50's.
  • clazza wrote:
    I'm also considering the Zero's and in your case, i would go for the Zero's because of ease of bearing serviceability at home. Not sure about this but was told that the Hunt's use smaller bearings which are less durable. Also, if you want tubeless in future, the Zero's arent compatible

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to do a little more research on the Hunt bearings before making a final decision.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    I like the look of the DT Swiss PR1400 dicut Oxic wheels. The DT Swiss hubs are very well regarded. There was a recent thread on here about them if you have a search.

Do you have any experience with this wheelset? I looked at these and my only concern was that the ceramic coating would detach. Mavic tried doing ceramic years ago but discontinued because of this issue.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    PeteK25 wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    That needs 50mm (at least) carbons. Don't worry about wind or anything practical. Just do the right thing for the bike.
    I really want to...was looking at the Prime RR-50's.

I have Prime RP-50's (disc, rather than rim braked). I think they're just a little lighter than the RR50's, but the same rim profile They are very well-behaved in crosswinds.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    PeteK25 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Do you have any experience with this wheelset? I looked at these and my only concern was that the ceramic coating would detach. Mavic tried doing ceramic years ago but discontinued because of this issue.

No personal experience. This is the thread I was on about...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=dt+swiss