m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
edited November 2017 in Pro race
Something a little different.

Discuss!
PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Did you just pick these two out of a hat at random?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    lolz... much as Paolini is my man, Kreuziger nudges the better palmares.

GC at Suisse and Romandie, plus Amstel and 2 Giro stages vs Omloop, GW, a Giro and a Vuelta stage.

As a teammate Paolini wins hands down...
  • m.r.m.
    Not at random. Just wanted some matchups to be a little outside the box. Both spent at least the latter days of their career (Kreuziger still racing) being super domestiques who can still win and I thought since we have some incredibly knowledgable members here, we'd have some matchups that go beyond counting wins on procyclingstats.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Kreuziger has won far more. Paolini would be a better team mate and more fun at parties.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Not at random. Just wanted some matchups to be a little outside the box. Both spent at least the latter days of their career (Kreuziger still racing) being super domestiques who can still win and I thought since we have some incredibly knowledgable members here, we'd have some matchups that go beyond counting wins on procyclingstats.
    Next up Mark Cavendish v Ryan Giggs
  • m.r.m.
    No but maybe Marianne Vos vs. Eddy Merckx :P
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    M.R.M. wrote:
    No but maybe Marianne Vos vs. Eddy Merckx :P

Now you're talking. You'd still say Merckx, but Marianne is probably in the top 5 best cyclists of all time for me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Now you're talking. You'd still say Merckx, but Marianne is probably in the top 5 best cyclists of all time for me.
    Most successful maybe. But best? No.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Most successful maybe. But best? No.

It's the major success in 3 disciplines for me:
    3x World titles (and 5x runner up), 1 Olympic gold, 5x World Cups, 3x Giri Rosa, 8x major Tours, 18x classics on the road
    7x Worlds in cyclo-cross
    2x World titles, 1 Olympic gold on the track

I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing, but it's still absolutely outstanding.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing
    That's what I was referring to.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'll happily acknowledge the disparity in competitiveness between men's and women's racing

I absolutely agree with equality, but unless a woman beats the men in the men's races, she cannot be considered better than them.

Vos would win practically nothing if she was in an open field. She competes against a protected class (females) and the best that has been in that field.

This is the Fedrer / Williams debate on bicycles.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I absolutely agree with equality, but unless a woman beats the men in the men's races, she cannot be considered better than them.

Vos would win practically nothing if she was in an open field. She competes against a protected class (females) and the best that has been in that field.

This is the Fedrer / Williams debate on bicycles.
    It's also like boxing. Gennady Golovkin (a middleweight) may very well be the best 'pound-for-pound' boxer in the world as many say he is, but the the simple fact is that there are dozens of heavyweights that would flatten him.