Wheelbuilding - Radial truing

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I built my first set of wheels over the weekend. DT Swiss EX471 29" rims on DT 350 Boost ISO hubs and DT comp 2.0/1.8.20 double butted spokes.

I have a question about the radial trueness of the front wheel. At the moment it is true within 0.5mm laterally, radially and dish. Radially, it has 5 or six high spots (or low spots depending how you look at it), within 0.5mm, around the rim which I can't seem to get out without my spoke tensions becoming uneven or the lateral trueness going out.

Is this a problem? Should I back off all the spokes and start retensioning again? Current average spoke tension on non DS is 127kgf and even to within 6%.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    hard-rider wrote:
    Is this a problem?
    No. Think about how tall the tyre is and how much it squishes down at the contact patch, can you imagine 0.5mm making any difference?
  • Of course what you say makes sense. My concern was more from a stress in the rim point of view rather than being able to feel the high spots. My rear wheel, in comparison, built up with just one very slight high point so this wheel having multiple spots threw me a little so I wanted to check with more experienced wheel builders what their opinion was.
  • How are you measuring the radial runout? Variations of the rim itself could be giving you that much variation. Try measuring your runout in a different location and see if it shows the same high spots. In general 0.5mm isn't much and I wouldn't worry about it. Be more concerned with keep the spoke tension even.