Colnago Arabesque/ Master ride quality?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
Would these frames with their traditional small diameter tubing and steel forks be very uncomfortable to ride compared to a modern high end carbon frame or even a modern oversize steel frame?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've never ridden a Colnago but my two main bikes are a modern custom carbon frame and a 1991 custom 531 steel frame with narrow diameter tubes.

As long as the size and geometry suits you, by far the biggest effect on comfort in my experience is tyre type, size and pressure rather than frame material and tubing diameter.

On my carbon bike, a supple high tpi 23mm tyre with latex tubes fitted to a modern wider rim (Archetype in my case) at say 90/95 psi soaks up road irregularities better than the same tyre/tube fitted to a narrower rim (Campag Neutron Ultra) at 105/110. On my steel bike, a shift from stiff 28mm tyres to supple 32mm ones gives similar improvements.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I've got a couple of high end carbon frames, one is comfortable and the smoothest bike I've had, the other is the harshest bike I have had (same wheels, tyres, bars, saddle). So, the question doesn't really work at all in my opinion.

People buy into the "carbon is smooth" generalisation, and back it up in their minds when they've bought a carbon bike and find their particular one is smooth, but the generalisation isn't actually true.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My CF was more comfy than the 653 that preceded it - and that was the same wheels and kit so a straight swap - and I hadnt even thought of the ride - was just expecting it to be lighter - so I'm pretty sure it rode nicer.

When I was on the 653 though - I never thought it was an uncomfortable ride.

I''m also pretty sure you adapt quickly to whatever bike you're riding so I don't think you'd say it was uncomfortable after a while.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Ive been told that the old racing bikes of which the Arabesque is a copy were awful to ride compared to modern bikes. It would be good to test ride one but I doubt if that's possible. I guess its like comparing an E Type jag with the current F type. I suppose the attraction is to do with nostalgia.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Who cares, they are beautiful!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Colnago Master I had was very nice to ride, I suspect tyre width and pressure may be more important. My Custom lugged steel bike is better than my Old Master I recently tried a Specialized CF bike and it felt unenvolving to me.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I've had a Master for the last 4 years and simply love it, the combination of the race geometry and give in the steel makes for a precise, comfortable and confidence inspiring ride, I've never heard of anyone who has regretted buying a Master.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, comfort and ride quality is not a problem.

What you might notice is the flex/whip in the frame when pedalling. This will inevitably be more than a modern oversized frame, but in my experience adds to the charm of the bike - certainly better than more utilitarian steel builds that just feel dead (and heavy).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    TimothyW wrote:
    Yeah, comfort and ride quality is not a problem.

What you might notice is the flex/whip in the frame when pedalling...
    Whilst still being much stiffer than a Raleigh 531c frame & forks.
    Now that whipped! :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.