Noooooooooo. My bike is dead

2»

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Wow You've had no luck at all.
    This, but at least the driver is coughing up for the Voodoo.
    The way I see it is that I'm not hurt, I've had a little rest from commuting and I get to buy a new bike (or maybe two) and Mrs P hasn't moaned at me for it.

I can't remember a time when I've been any luckier 8) :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    It’s back!!

82_F014_DC-04_CB-4_C36-_B812-_B30830_F5_A0_C2.jpg

Saracen gave me a Hack because they hadn’t got any disc Tenet frames left, happy with that. I’ve managed to squeeze some 42c land cruisers in under the mudguards, they’re a bit excessive to be honest, I’ll swap them for something slicker in the spring but I’ve got these in the garage so might as well give them a go.

First commute back tomorrow, can’t wait.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Nice outcome - but that chain does look tight!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • prawny
    figbat wrote:

Yes! I thought that but just shrugged it off until a mate said the same. I twigged afterwards that Winstanleys had built up the new frame using the old parts, but the stays on this are loads longer than the Tenet, so the chain isn't long enough. I'm nursing it today, going to see if I've got an offcut of chain in the garage I can tack on for now and get a new chain and some sensible tyres tomorrow.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • But the burning question is, did the new bike allow you to set new PBs travelling in? :D

That chain length looks well dodgy, isn't ~45 degrees for the derailleur lower supposed to be the level for the larger toothed sprockets? No using anything below about mid cassette with the 50T chainring for you until you add some links.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • prawny
    PBs?! With those tyres :lol: not a chance. Position and feel otherwise is very similar to the Tenet, so I think with a change of tyres it’ll be back to normal only with better brakes (fingers crossed)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    Sorted the chain, it's now 80% Sram, 15% shimano, 5% quicklinks.

Works fine though, it was only going to be a get me to work today solution, but it's all so knackered now I think I'm just going to run it into the ground and get a whole new drivetrain in the new year.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Sorted the chain, it's now 80% Sram, 15% shimano, 5% quicklinks.
    :lol: I've been running a chain that is spliced together from a Shimano 105 and Ultegra chain on my CX bike for quite some time now. Doesn't seem to cause any problem.

Mike
  • I love to see stuff well used but your water bottle is looking a might tired and dirty. Your next unlucky event might be a bout of dysentery. Maybe its your lucky bottle that you don't want to change if that is the case definitely worth changing. Apart from the chain issue and the bottle, bike looks great.
  • prawny
    I love to see stuff well used but your water bottle is looking a might tired and dirty. Your next unlucky event might be a bout of dysentery. Maybe its your lucky bottle that you don't want to change if that is the case definitely worth changing. Apart from the chain issue and the bottle, bike looks great.

That's not a water bottle any more, it holds 2 tubes, levers and a pair of rubber gloves. It's ming I agree, my water bottle goes in the dishwasher daily until it starts leaking.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    prawny wrote:
    figbat wrote:

Yes! I thought that but just shrugged it off until a mate said the same. I twigged afterwards that Winstanleys had built up the new frame using the old parts, but the stays on this are loads longer than the Tenet, so the chain isn't long enough. I'm nursing it today, going to see if I've got an offcut of chain in the garage I can tack on for now and get a new chain and some sensible tyres tomorrow.

Am I the only one thinking wtf? Why would any competent bike shop do that?
  • prawny
    To be fair to Winstanleys I didn’t send them the wheels so it wouldn’t have become apparant that it would be too short until I stuck my wheels in then shifted to a big/big combo.

They weren’t able to set the gears up either, and I’ve not been able to get it right since.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017